The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Wish my chickens could do that! My Serama rooster, Little Man, would love that!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Okay, so far I've only read through page 40 (about 280 pages to still read). I have always LOVED genetics, so this project sounds right up my alley. I have a question (which may be answered in the next 300 pages).

I keep reading about getting the blue shell from EE or Ameraucana, has anyone experimented with getting the blue from Araucana?

Deb

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yes- Illia has some really good examples. Recent pics just a few pages back I think.

4. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:I'm sure someone has, it would work the same. If an egg is blue, olive, or any shade of green the hen that laid them carries the blue gene. The blue gene I've seen in my experience is very dominate. I had an ole Easter Egger hen when I was five years old that laid a greenish shade of egg and she was the mother to many mixed breeds offspring, the green eggs continued to pop up for several generations even twelve years later even though she was bred to other breeds that did not carry the blue gene. I eventually had chickens that looked just like jungle fowl or some game birds that half the hens would lay greenish eggs and half would lay light tan. But what's cool about this project is breeding something carrying the blue gene crossed with a heavy brown gene like in marans.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Quote:I had two yellow babies hatch on Saturday, so missed getting halloween babies, but still glad about the two I got!!

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I had two yellow babies hatch on Saturday, so missed getting halloween babies, but still glad about the two I got!!

I gave a splash copper marans to a friend, and it turns out she lays olive/green eggs too! But all the sisters I had lay regular red marans eggs [​IMG]

Congrats on the chicks!

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

I gave a splash copper marans to a friend, and it turns out she lays olive/green eggs too! But all the sisters I had lay regular red marans eggs [​IMG]

Congrats on the chicks!

does she have a pea comb? what any of her parent part of a green egger breeding project?

8. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    I've never heard of a splash maran laying an olive colored egg. She must have been a mixed breed hen that looked like a maran... [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Nope- in my case anyway, all of them had single combs. They are supposed to be from Davis & Jeane stock. If I had actually kept that one I would probably never known as I keep my EEs in my marans coop anyway [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:you should have play the lotto on that day as you had about 4% of getting a "Single" combed maran that laid colored eggs,! why? the blue egg gene is tightly linked to the Pea comb by 4 cM(CentiMorgan) units and not unless gene crossover occurs(4% chance) you can safely bet a you next single comb hen will not lay a green egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by