The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:Oooh, so pretty!

Thank you! I'm going to try to keep my olive eggers colorful, that's my only intentional mix breed! As for next spring, I'm using three or four first generation Olive eggers similar to what you see pictured and one half EE half wheaten ameraucana hen and one silver duck wing pattern EE hen. So I'll be making first and second generation olive eggers all in the same pen as well as pure black copper marans. Fun fun! I can't imagine not getting some cool eggs!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I don't know, but she is a great free ranger; when they are allowed to free range anyway! [​IMG] Had something come in the coop yesterday and kill a Black Aussie juvie! Set a trap and what ever it was set the trap off and then turned the trap upside down...ARHHHH

~Aspen

3. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:I don't know, but she is a great free ranger; when they are allowed to free range anyway! [​IMG] Had something come in the coop yesterday and kill a Black Aussie juvie! Set a trap and what ever it was set the trap off and then turned the trap upside down...ARHHHH

~Aspen

That sounds like a raccoon's behavior. They kill a lot of chickens here in Mississippi. Mix up peanut butter and dog food and put it on the trap's pedal. And then remember u have an escape artist. Check the trap often, and be ready with a .22 caliber to finish it off. And put the trap on flat level ground with no roots near it so it cant reach out to and flip it over. I REALLY dislike those little miniature bears! We've had problems with them chewing up rubber hoses and small wires underneath automobiles and killing people"s cats, I have lost two cats for sure and my neighbor stopped one raccoon from killing her cat. Raccoons are smart strong opportunistic killers and disease carrying critters. Don't let em get around your chickens!​

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    And maybe put something heavy, like a cinderblock on top.

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I caught 7 Raccoons here in Maine this past summer using mostly Marshmallows. A couple time I used peanut butter on a piece of bread... You definitely want to make it so that the Coon only has one way in to get the bait. They are very good at getting their little hands through the trap to the bait. Block the sides and back...
    My2ยข

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle

~Aspen

That sounds like a raccoon's behavior. They kill a lot of chickens here in Mississippi. Mix up peanut butter and dog food and put it on the trap's pedal. And then remember u have an escape artist. Check the trap often, and be ready with a .22 caliber to finish it off. And put the trap on flat level ground with no roots near it so it cant reach out to and flip it over. I REALLY dislike those little miniature bears! We've had problems with them chewing up rubber hoses and small wires underneath automobiles and killing people"s cats, I have lost two cats for sure and my neighbor stopped one raccoon from killing her cat. Raccoons are smart strong opportunistic killers and disease carrying critters. Don't let em get around your chickens!

I'm pretty sure it's a cat of some sort. Coons are bad about just eat'in their heads off. [​IMG] Something got the chook out of the trap (door was closed) and ate it in the chicken yard. [​IMG] Ugh

~Aspen

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I had to share one of the cuties I got from Wynette and Speckledhen's conspiracy act to get me OEs....this little one (suspected girl) is adorable and feather footed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These babies are being spoiled rotten by my daughter and I hahahaha

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Love the pictue of the 'crown!'

~Aspen [​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL thanks....that is one spoiled rotten birdie. She comes out for breakfast every morning and eats oatmeal with DD. What a brat.

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by