The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Aspen - Wow, how on Earth did that first girl end up looking so gamey? Mine have all hatched out looking like Ameraucana's. She's definitely got her daddy's coppering though. Ford's son does look a lot like him. Glad you are enjoying them. Thanks for the pics!

Illia - tough call, I've been there. I had one chick that hatched fine, but a couple days later slipped it's hock in it's leg. I worked with the chick trying to get it better, but nothing worked. I ended up having to cull the little thing 2 weeks later when I noticed it looked like a hunchback - it's right wing was on top of it's body. The only thing I can figure is that it was trying to compensate for the leg and torched it's whole body out of whack.

CrazyCatandChickenLady.........Gorgeous girls! Maybe you'll get lucky and your straight comb girl will be one of the 3% to lay an olive egg. I look forward to seeing more pics, especially when they start laying.

2. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Crowing

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:No you'll get splash OEs. And lav ameraucanas don't have the best blue egg genes yet, so they eggs might be more brown than olive.

Oh well that's dissapointing. I'm in love with the lavender color and the splash pattern, but would rather have olive eggs instead of brown.

3. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Songster

Jan 3, 2010
    Being that OE are a cross how well do they lay through the winter months? I'm in western NC so its not as cold as some parts of the country I'm planning on a tractor with 8-12 hens over the winter and would like an assortment of egg colors I would like a few OE as well as marans and arcuanas

Thanks
    Kenneth

4. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Songster

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Hello Olive Egger fans! I wanted to share a couple photo's I took of the offspring between my BC Maran Rooster over an EE hen that came from Cackle Hatchery. These two pullets shown below are a first generation cross, this spring I plan on breeding them back to a BC Maran rooster to get second Generation OE's! I'm so excited to see what color eggs these ladies will lay! They both have feathered legs and pea combs! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Mine were a year old in September and they are still going strong. I was expecting them to quit and molt, but not yet. They have been super layers.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    have any of you fellows been able to produce Blue gene(O) Homozygotes yet? most eggs I see here seem to be of Heterozygotes and I know they(the green egg color) can be enhanced a lot by producing Homozygous O/O birds..

7. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Crowing

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Oooh, so pretty!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:You mean an Olive Egger x Olive Egger to get offspring that are homozygous for blue eggs, but also pure for dark eggs?

Haven't seen such yet but it's my goal. I'm hoping it will turn out like an F1 olive egg but much darker and richer. Basically a really deep GREEN. Like Spinach.

9. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Songster

Jan 3, 2010
    Quote:Mine were a year old in September and they are still going strong. I was expecting them to quit and molt, but not yet. They have been super layers.

Thanks

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You mean an Olive Egger x Olive Egger to get offspring that are homozygous for blue eggs, but also pure for dark eggs?

Haven't seen such yet but it's my goal. I'm hoping it will turn out like an F1 olive egg but much darker and richer. Basically a really deep GREEN. Like Spinach.

My splash is an olive egger to olive egger mating. I'm hoping for dark also. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by