The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Actually the egg color is very poor. One of the blues hatched out of a nice egg, the rest came out of my palest layers. Still better than a Cuckoo Marans, but, not purebred-worthy. I'm keeping her for purposes like this. She's huge, and her daughters make good layers while her sons make great meat boys.

Normally my eggs are as dark as #5, but, most the laying lately is done by my light laying girl and the rest are because it's the end of the season. Now, NO ONE is laying. Everyone's molting.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow Illia, such a variety! I'll be following to see how they turn out - especially the brown ones. [​IMG]

3. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Quote:Beautiful, love the color!

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I love the egg color from these birds. Wish I could get my camera to capture the true beauty of them.

[​IMG]

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:what are the speckledly ones?

6. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I LOVE your olive egg. I just hatched out a cute little OE......if she stays a she and lays an egg like that I'll be thrilled to death. Good luck with your girls. [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Illia, that chick #1 is definitely interesting! Red tints...looks to be a cockerel, which bums me out. I'd really wonder what it would lay if it IS a pullet - I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's a gal!

I hope #3's leg issues resolve - big is beautiful! #4 is just gorgeous....and #5 - holy WOOT WOOT!!! Great job - thanks for the pictorials and explanations - super interesting!

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wonder if #8 is a sex link since the hen was cuckoo? Which would make it a male?

Had to go look again, they are just too darn adorable.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Beautiful, love the color!

Thanks, she like her mother did kept me guessing for a while. When my blue OE was a baby, the comb turned pink really early, like 3-4 weeks - so I assumed it was a cockerel. Then the chick grew, but the comb didn't, and by 8 weeks I knew she was a female. This splash baby did the same thing, comb turning pink really early on.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:No, the father was the Cuckoo. The mothers to ALL these chicks are Black Copper Marans. The chick is a girl, notice the small white dot.

Wynette, what? Red tints?

I'm thinking it's a girl with its color, but that's me. I'm hoping the rumpless brown one is a girl though ( #7 )

My browns usually go - Boys are black with yellow and brown face, underside, wings. Girls are mostly solid brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by