The Olive-Egger thread!

Actually the egg color is very poor. One of the blues hatched out of a nice egg, the rest came out of my palest layers. Still better than a Cuckoo Marans, but, not purebred-worthy. I'm keeping her for purposes like this. She's huge, and her daughters make good layers while her sons make great meat boys.

Normally my eggs are as dark as #5, but, most the laying lately is done by my light laying girl and the rest are because it's the end of the season. Now, NO ONE is laying. Everyone's molting.

Wow Illia, such a variety! I'll be following to see how they turn out - especially the brown ones.
pop.gif

I LOVE your olive egg. I just hatched out a cute little OE......if she stays a she and lays an egg like that I'll be thrilled to death. Good luck with your girls.
ya.gif

Illia, that chick #1 is definitely interesting! Red tints...looks to be a cockerel, which bums me out. I'd really wonder what it would lay if it IS a pullet - I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's a gal!

I hope #3's leg issues resolve - big is beautiful! #4 is just gorgeous....and #5 - holy WOOT WOOT!!! Great job - thanks for the pictorials and explanations - super interesting!

Quote:
Beautiful, love the color!

Thanks, she like her mother did kept me guessing for a while. When my blue OE was a baby, the comb turned pink really early, like 3-4 weeks - so I assumed it was a cockerel. Then the chick grew, but the comb didn't, and by 8 weeks I knew she was a female. This splash baby did the same thing, comb turning pink really early on.

Quote:
No, the father was the Cuckoo. The mothers to ALL these chicks are Black Copper Marans. The chick is a girl, notice the small white dot.

Wynette, what? Red tints?

I'm thinking it's a girl with its color, but that's me. I'm hoping the rumpless brown one is a girl though ( #7 )

My browns usually go - Boys are black with yellow and brown face, underside, wings. Girls are mostly solid brown.

Back
Top Bottom