The Olive-Egger thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh, okay - they are all so dang adorable!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Quote:what are the speckledly ones?

Welsummer

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:No, the father was the Cuckoo. The mothers to ALL these chicks are Black Copper Marans. The chick is a girl, notice the small white dot.

Wynette, what? Red tints?

I'm thinking it's a girl with its color, but that's me. I'm hoping the rumpless brown one is a girl though ( #7 )

My browns usually go - Boys are black with yellow and brown face, underside, wings. Girls are mostly solid brown.

Yes, #1 - looks like it has red tints, no?

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    My girl Cajun.. she's maybe 10 months old.
    [​IMG]

17 week old pullet. Still no name yet..! Olive egger x olive egger. I posted her pics earlier on in the thread.
    [​IMG]

And here's some new pictures of Lacey cause she's pretty.. even though she has a single comb she has an olive egger daddy.
    [​IMG]

5. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Overrun With Chickens

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    If I cross blue splash marans with lavender ameraucanas, will I get splash lavender olive eggers? Does it make a difference which breed is the rooster and which is the hen?

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:I don't know what you would get color wise. Lavenders are different than blues. The would be lav splits no matter what color. Lavs work better with blacks not blues.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:No you'll get splash OEs. And lav ameraucanas don't have the best blue egg genes yet, so they eggs might be more brown than olive.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Beautiful girls!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Wow!! I'm guessing you used some Easter Eggers as the blue-carrying parent? Love the color of the 17 week old pullet. That's pretty rare on an Olive Egger! [​IMG]

Well, as it turns out, sadly - The blue chick of mine with the weird leg issue actually so happens to have a completely/permanently dislocated right Metatarsus. [​IMG] The chick can now stand and walk and run around, but, only on one leg! S/he is perfectly still fat, healthy, and feathering in quick, but, s/he will NOT put any weight on its right leg, and if I look closely to inspect the joint, the Metatarsus (lower leg) is clearly disconnected and laying side-by-side with its Tibia & Fibula (drumstick section of leg)

I'm really really wondering, should I put this chick down? Or let it live out its life and see where it goes? The chick acts fine apart from its useless right leg that kind of hovers out to the side, but, I don't know how much pain if any pain it is going through. [​IMG] So far I'm just waiting it out, seeing how it behaves with this condition.

The tailed brown chick (#1) appears to have some blue on its new feathers growing out. It might just mature to a beautiful mockery of Blue Partridge. Operative word mockery.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    These are some Olive Eggers I hatched from Happy Chook's flock.

Alice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ford's son--a spit'n image of him
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black OE pullet
    [​IMG]