The Olive-Egger thread!

This chick came from a brown egg marked gold lace cochin, when it hatched I knew it wasn't a GLC. I asked the lady that I got my eggs from and she does have free ranging Ameraucanas. Could she be a possible OE??

This chick came from a brown egg marked gold lace cochin, when it hatched I knew it wasn't a GLC. I asked the lady that I got my eggs from and she does have free ranging Ameraucanas. Could she be a possible OE??

Usually feathered feet or legs are dominant and I don't see that here so I don't think the bird is a cochan. It could be an olive egger or green egg layer if it came from a brown egg or it could just lay brown or tan eggs as EE's can lay just about any color.

Usually feathered feet or legs are dominant and I don't see that here so I don't think the bird is a cochan.  It could be an olive egger or green egg layer if it came from a brown egg or it could just lay brown or tan eggs as EE's can lay just about any color. 
I kept her just because she's a mystery chick, it'll be a surprise to see the egg color! Plus she is super friendly so she's earned a place in my heart!

Usually feathered feet or legs are dominant and I don't see that here so I don't think the bird is a cochan.  It could be an olive egger or green egg layer if it came from a brown egg or it could just lay brown or tan eggs as EE's can lay just about any color. 
I have a hen who is half silkie and half easter egger, she has no feathered legs....

I have a hen who is half silkie and half easter egger, she has no feathered legs....

Yeah. It varies. I have several that are crosses between feather legged and clean legged parents. Some have no feathers on their legs and some have lots. My olive egger pullet actually has really nicely feathered legs even though her marans mom has only a feather on each leg. My EE rooster is clean legged.

My EE cockerel is EE hen X Game roo....it was a free chick from a friend, bred from free ranging EE and Game roo. He has a three row pea comb. Does this mean he LIKELY inherited the blue laying gene? I have a BCM and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to breed him to her and see what she throws color laying wise? Or would the game in him make the chicks not-so-great layers and not worth anything anyway? Pretty much, if I'm wanting to breed GOOD LAYERS with COLOR, is it worth it for me to breed him or should his next stop be the stew pot? I have NO experience with game chickens, so I don't know if the game in him means he will throw white layers, or small egg layers, or poor layers, or whatever....

My EE cockerel is EE hen X Game roo....it was a free chick from a friend, bred from free ranging EE and Game roo. He has a three row pea comb. Does this mean he LIKELY inherited the blue laying gene? I have a BCM and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to breed him to her and see what she throws color laying wise? Or would the game in him make the chicks not-so-great layers and not worth anything anyway? Pretty much, if I'm wanting to breed GOOD LAYERS with COLOR, is it worth it for me to breed him or should his next stop be the stew pot? I have NO experience with game chickens, so I don't know if the game in him means he will throw white layers, or small egg layers, or poor layers, or whatever....

The short answer is, you never know what you are going to get particularly with so many variables. If the original EE hen layed green eggs then she at least has one blue egg gene but she may have two. If she indeed had two blue egg genes then the cockerel you have has one, if she did not he may not have any. If he has a single pea comb/blue egg gene combo then each chick has a 50% chance of laying green eggs but you wont know for quite some time.

The Game hen in him might also make his stock less productive in terms of egg laying as well and if you cross back to a deep brown egg layer that is already known for less than stellar production, well you know, not many eggs. You are likely better off finding some EE's and crossing a cockerel that came from a nice brown egg to them or just get some OE's from someone. I personally like breeding blue egg gene carrying cockerels to Red Stars that lay deeper shades of brown for better egg production but still producing olive eggs.

Any ideas, i was told hen was a black copper marans roo was cream legbar. I have 5 and hoping at least 1 will give me an olive green egg.
barring is sexlinked. The hen can only carry one gene for it and when bred with a rooster who isn't barred/cuckoo she can only pass on the barring to her sons,if the roo had barring but the hen didn't everything would get one gene for barring. So they would all have dark barring like a hen, this one however has a suspiciously large comb...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom