The Olive-Egger thread!

It is too variable--depends one what breeds are used to make the OE and if the EE is from a hatchery or from Breeder culls.

The range will be from 25 weeks to 30plus weeks--Wellsummer x a blue egg layer will usually take the longest time.

Fastest is Penedesenca x cream legbar.

My EE's and OE's all started laying between five and six months old. None later than exactly six months. Strangely, my welsumers didn't start laying until a little over 8 months, BUT, their daughters, with a cream legbar father, all started at five months. I've noticed my pullets start laying earlier if they are from a late winter or early spring hatch, I've had some start (not EE's though) start at the four month mark.
That's something I'm keeping in mind when I decide when to start chicks.

the dad was a dark brama...the moms are listed below...

1. is a blue Isbar, 2. LO, 3. is a blue frizzle Gray egger, 4. is a blue frizzle gray egger, 5. is a SLW, 6. is an LO, 7. is a Blue andelusian.

Last edited:
My EE's and OE's all started laying between five and six months old. None later than exactly six months. Strangely, my welsumers didn't start laying until a little over 8 months, BUT, their daughters, with a cream legbar father, all started at five months. I've noticed my pullets start laying earlier if they are from a late winter or early spring hatch, I've had some start (not EE's though) start at the four month mark.
Yup I've always gotten my chicks in late summer/early Fall and they've always started laying between 24-25 weeks. I think I'll stick with that plan. I've heard too many stories of spring chicks taking forever to start laying.

This is my little OE. Her dad is a BCM and her mom is a Blue Ameraucana.

Also, would an EE and a Cuckoo Marans create an olive egger? Is so, I have another one.

My EE's and OE's all started laying between five and six months old.  None later than exactly six months.  Strangely, my welsumers didn't start laying until a little over 8 months, BUT, their daughters, with a cream legbar father, all started at five months.   I've noticed my pullets start laying earlier if they are from a late winter or early spring hatch, I've had some start (not EE's though) start at the four month mark.

I think your rite that I haven't been good about considering when I'm hatching and the ones hatched between may and sept are taking the longest but because of the short days and temperatures.
Just hatched about 30 chicks in January well see when they start laying. This is the earliest I've ever hatched.

Last edited:
Yup I've always gotten my chicks in late summer/early Fall and they've always started laying between 24-25 weeks. I think I'll stick with that plan. I've heard too many stories of spring chicks taking forever to start laying.

my april hatched NNs started to lay in september, marans in december and a rumpless araucana still not laying.

Back
Top Bottom