The Olive-Egger thread!

Any guesses on week to lay on hatched chickens from this January?

No guesses whatsoever. but chickens (mixes) I hatched Jan. 19th, all the pullets were laying by the end of May. I also got day olds on Feb. 23 and with one exception all were laying by the first week in July. (n fact, by the third week of July I put some of the Feb. peeps eggs in the incubator and hatched them.
Most of mine lay between. 4.5 and 6 months but I had one breed (welsumers) go 8+ months before I saw an egg.
Since this is an OE thread, ALL my OE's have started laying within a day or two of the five month mark, and some of them were from the mothers who didn't start until over 8 months. Others were from mothers who started right before 6 months. All had the same father.

Last edited:
I've hatched marans, easter eggers and olive eggers (marans x isbar) crosses and all of them have taken between 24 and 25 weeks. I've always done fall chicks though. Seems like the spring chicks take longer to lay but since you did so early in the year the might lay around that time frame too.

Golden Cuckoo marans crossed with 2 easter egger hens, 1 bearded and muffed and one clean faced. They will be all golden cuckoo olive eggers. Their eyes are starting to change to orange now.

Last edited:

What color legs would these be considered on the above olive eggers? I'm trying to breed for white skin with these, so the phenotype appears like a Golden Cuckoo Marans with the pea comb. I'll be keeping the clean faced chicks, which I ended up with 6, and 4 muffed/bearded.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom