The Olive-Egger thread!

F1 hybrid The crossing of 1 pure breed with another pure breed. I crossed Blue Copper Maran roo "chocolate egger" over Ameraucana hen's "blue egg layers. Their chicks are F1 A 50% chance of brown or olive eggs. So if you take 2 of their olive offspring and breed them you get F2. And so on. Except I don't think you should breed siblings. Too many bad traits come out. I change out my rooster every year so that doesn't happen. But, now my new roo is so nice I think I will keep him forever! But I have mixed my project gene pool up and I still add new hens every year. Just keeping getting bigger birds! Hope that helps.

F1 hybrid The crossing of 1 pure breed with another pure breed. I crossed Blue Copper Maran roo "chocolate egger" over Ameraucana hen's "blue egg layers. Their chicks are F1 A 50% chance of brown or olive eggs. So if you take 2 of their olive offspring and breed them you get F2. And so on. Except I don't think you should breed siblings. Too many bad traits come out. I change out my rooster every year so that doesn't happen. But, now my new roo is so nice I think I will keep him forever! But I have mixed my project gene pool up and I still add new hens every year. Just keeping getting bigger birds! Hope that helps.

One small correction here: if you're using pure Marans and pure Ameraucanas as the base parents, the F-1 chicks will all be OEs. (The Marans has two dark brown genes, and always passes one. The Ameraucana has two blue genes, and always passes on. Resulting chicks all have one brown and one blue gene.)

Things get interesting in the F-2 generation, where the blue gene isn't a sure thing. F-1 as described above taken back to a Marans will have a 50/50 shot at being a DEEP Olive Egger.
smile.png

I have my EEs together too w hens. I want to make olive eggers so I'm going to put my BCM roo in w the EE girls. How long till try have the BCM Roos sperm an not the EE roo anymore

I would be willing to pay for someone to ship an Oliver Egger pullet to SLC UT, if someone had one I could buy. My OE turned out to be a roo.

Last edited:
Do they let you ship live stock via mail during the summer? I know the planes wont let you take your pets on the planes during summer months. I got stuck in NY with my pets in June. Was coming home with 2 cats and a dog from Italy. After a 2 year duty. The long ride to NY was fine. But, once we hit the ground and was getting on the other plane to TX, the new duty station. We where told we couldn't fly with them. I tell you what a pain that trip was. Had to cash in the tickets to TX and rent a car one way. But it worked out ok. We drove to Atlanta turned the car in and got our truck out of storage. Talk about 2 ticked off cats! At least we had a shell on the bed. The dog was just happy to see grass and ride in a truck. He was a stray and where we lived no grass grew. Only rocks, brush, cactus, and salt water. So, during a layover at my parents in TN. He thought he was in heaven. A fresh water creek and 5 acres of grass with my mom's 2 girl dogs to play with!

Do they let you ship live stock via mail during the summer? I know the planes wont let you take your pets on the planes during summer months. I got stuck in NY with my pets in June. Was coming home with 2 cats and a dog from Italy. After a 2 year duty. The long ride to NY was fine. But, once we hit the ground and was getting on the other plane to TX, the new duty station. We where told we couldn't fly with them. I tell you what a pain that trip was. Had to cash in the tickets to TX and rent a car one way. But it worked out ok. We drove to Atlanta turned the car in and got our truck out of storage. Talk about 2 ticked off cats! At least we had a shell on the bed. The dog was just happy to see grass and ride in a truck. He was a stray and where we lived no grass grew. Only rocks, brush, cactus, and salt water. So, during a layover at my parents in TN. He thought he was in heaven. A fresh water creek and 5 acres of grass with my mom's 2 girl dogs to play with!
has to be less than 85 in both areas I think

Back
Top Bottom