The Olive-Egger thread!

I think the F1, F2, BC1, BC2, etc only applies to a particular line starting with 2 particular birds......
......once you add a bird different from the original 2 and their offspring into the mix it, starts a different/new line.

Whenever these labels (F1, F2, BC1, BC2, etc) are used, the original parentage (hen and cock) should be described.

Just my 2 sense(cents).

Last edited:
The dark brown speckled are pure Welsummer, the blue eggs are from one of the mothers of my F1 olive eggers, and the darker olive eggs are my F2 generation of Welsummer rooster over Americana hens
Wow my bad. I meant Welsummer rooster over my olive egger hens, the blue egg is from an Americana hen that was the mother of my F1 olive egger generation.

I think the F1, F2, BC1, BC2, etc only applies to a particular line starting with 2 particular birds......
......once you add a bird different from the original 2 and their offspring into the mix it, starts a different/new line.

Whenever these labels (F1, F2, BC1, BC2, etc) are used, the original parentage (hen and cock) should be described.

Just my 2 sense(cents).
It's nice to know the breeds that went into a mix, I agree. It get very cumbersome to describe hatching eggs for instance however. Only OE enthusiasts would wade through a description like this:

OE Hatching Eggs, including:
F1 BCM X CCL
F1 Isbar X Marans
F2? Isbar X F1 (BCM X CCL)
F2? Welsummer X F1 (Is X Marans)

When we start mixing the mixes it gets muddy quick!

I just asked this question on the OE facebook group, what to call OE that are F1 crossed out to another purebred that is not one of the breeds used to produce that particular F1 bird.  For example, F1 BCM X CCL bred to an Isbar, etc.  I'm calling them F2 because I don't know what is technically correct.  I also do BC1 crosses back to the Marans, but about 85% of people don't know what I mean.  *sigh*

My F1 olive egger hen is a cross of marans x ameraucauna. She is pure black with a pea comb and muff. I crossed her with a marans roo.

My F1 olive egger hen is a cross of marans x ameraucauna. She is pure black with a pea comb and muff. I crossed her with a marans roo.
That is a BC1 for 1st generation backcross, thought *technically* it's only a BC if it was her sire she was bred "back" to. In these mixed OE, I'm calling it a BC if it's a cross back to the same breed of one of the parents.

I just asked this question on the OE facebook group, what to call OE that are F1 crossed out to another purebred that is not one of the breeds used to produce that particular F1 bird. For example, F1 BCM X CCL bred to an Isbar, etc. I'm calling them F2 because I don't know what is technically correct. I also do BC1 crosses back to the Marans, but about 85% of people don't know what I mean. *sigh*

Last edited:
Here's my chicks

Back
Top Bottom