The Olive-Egger thread!

This is my 4 week old Olive Egger Roo (the black chick)... This awkward phase is so unattractive. LOL! His feathers are coming in solid black, does this mean he will likely be black as an adult? I've never had an olive egger before. (He came from an Easter egger roo over olive egger and black copper marans hen.)
about 4 of mine look the same and the other 4 have the copper neck. It will be neat to see how they turn out. All chicks have their unattractive stage but these olive eggers really take the cake lmao.. :p

I'm attempting to replicate my golden cuckoo marans as olive eggers:

Olive egger in the back, Golden Cuckoo marans hen in front:

Last edited:
I'm curious.....I have a pullet from a Wellsummer roo and blue egg laying Easter Egger. The pullet has a pea comb but her legs are yellow iike the wellsummer breed. Any ideas what color egg she might lay? Was trying for an olive egger...

It depends. EEs may not have 2 blue egg shell genes. 2 white recessive genes will make a white shelled egg. The brown coating will get a brown egg. Pea comb is associated with the blue gene so chances are good.

Leg color is not associated with shell color.

It depends. EEs may not have 2 blue egg shell genes. 2 white recessive genes will make a white shelled egg. The brown coating will get a brown egg. Pea comb is associated with the blue gene so chances are good.

Leg color is not associated with shell color.
Mom's egg is blue all the way through, does that make better odds?

Mom's egg is blue all the way through, does that make better odds?
Blue egg shell is a dominant gene. It only takes one to express the blue in the shell.

punnett-square-oo-oo.jpg

in the chart, you see what happens if one of them has Oo. You will get 50 percent with the blue egg shell gene. This is for the egg shell. Adding in the dark brown coating would make the eggs 50% green and 50% brown.

Remember, a green egg comes from a blue shell covered with a brown coating. All brown eggs have a white egg shell that is then covered with brown so the Wellsummer parent is oo.

Last edited:
Blue egg shell is a dominant gene. It only takes one to express the blue in the shell.
punnett-square-oo-oo.jpg
in the chart, you see what happens if one of them has Oo. You will get 50 percent with the blue egg shell gene. This is for the egg shell. Adding in the dark brown coating would make the eggs 50% green and 50% brown. Remember, a green egg comes from a blue shell covered with a brown coating. All brown eggs have a white egg shell that is then covered with brown so the Wellsummer parent is oo.
thank you, that's very helpful.

My very first olive eggs are hatching this very moment. Two have pipped and hopefully will out of their shells soon. I can't wait to see what these chicks look like. I had no idea if they were fertile and/or developing or not. Candling reveals nothing since the shell is so dark. Now I'm thinking I should breed these chicks back to a BCM to get even darker eggs??????

Here's the basket of eggs I just took to incubator.

WOW Ruth that is the prettiest basket of olive green eggs I have seen. I haven't read to the end of this thread yet but can't wait so will ask my question. I understand crossing the dark brown over blue eggs to get the olive green. My question is does anyone know what you get if you breed the olive eggers to each other? Does the egg color breed true or doew it get darker or lighter? Just wondering if you have to go back to the brown or blue egg layer? Thanks

greeneggsandham2.jpg
I think you should have 50 Olive Eggers + 25 % BCM + 25% Ameraucanas

hh

This is Livi or Oliver,(not sure which yet) my olive egger. He/she is 14 weeks old, The comb has remained flat. Can anyone tell me if they think she is a hen or is he a rooster? I am also a newbie to this great hobby and can't wait for natures answer. I wll tell you that she does crow which leads me to believe she is a rooster.

hh This is Livi or Oliver,(not sure which yet) my olive egger. He/she is 14 weeks old, The comb has remained flat. Can anyone tell me if they think she is a hen or is he a rooster? I am also a newbie to this great hobby and can't wait for natures answer. I wll tell you that she does crow which leads me to believe she is a rooster.
That iridescence is spectacular!

Back
Top Bottom