The Olive-Egger thread!

I have my 4 OE hens in a pen with a BCM roo right now. I didn't keep the OE roo....I hope I don't regret that decision.
hmm.png

What kind of eggs will that cross produce.....OE hen x BCM roo?
Can you incubate pullet eggs?

Quote:
I just hatched all the pullet eggs I put in the bator with no issues and I just put 14 more in lockdown all pullets eggs. I would not use tiny eggs.

You will get darker eggs is what i understand.

My 6 week old Olive Eggers Just went outside into the unheated tweenie coop. That is where I put them after removing from the heated brooder but before the grow out pen. They are absolutely loving the outside and they are very active.

I have to get some pictures. I bought the eggs from Alicefelldown, they are all really really pretty. I especially am in love with one Blue Rooster who has lovely feathered shanks and a great beard and muffs
loveshower.gif

Quote:
I just hatched all the pullet eggs I put in the bator with no issues and I just put 14 more in lockdown all pullets eggs. I would not use tiny eggs.

You will get darker eggs is what i understand.

Dark Olive Eggs...

About half will be Olive Eggers. Some will be darker, some more on the blue or green side, some even richer though than what you're used to. I'm always a supporter of OE x OE as it is rarely done.

I got my OE hatching eggs from DinahMoe who crossed a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo with her mossy BCM hens. I hope she will continue to cross them and sell her eggs!!!!

ETA: She sent me 5 eggs in March and I got a 100% hatchrate!

Last edited:
The reason the egg looks like that is an extra coating on it. It won't be like that for long, sadly, but yes, I love it too!
smile.png

A key to increase it is to breed with only the hens that lay the most eggs with extra coatings of blume or other light hues to them. Especially look for Marans with more purple than reddish eggs, and blue layers with a paler shade that can darken when wet.

Back
Top Bottom