The owner of the feed store says that....

I've said it before, feed store/feed mill workers might know chickens, they always know where the feed is kept and how much it costs. For all of them to be chicken experts? Don't hold your breath.

better safe than sorry... you should without eating to make sure they all have a proper diet. Jk.. but, everyone is right about too much calcium. Be careful in trying to feed everyone from one bag. It's worth it in the long run.. healthier chicks grow up to make healthier eggs! :]

Quote:
I like hatching with broody hens but unless I take the chicks away I have the same problem. The hens gobble the starter and leave pellets for chicks. I think the fact that the chicks are free ranging helps and they probably aren't getting nearly the calcium they would be if confined.
I prefer to raise the chicks separately so I can beef them up with protein. I also think the reduced layer feed intake when the hens have a choice and choose grower affects production.

it is a forum, all opinions are appreciated, just keep it nice and polite...

I have a mixed flock, I feed starter/layer feed to all, since the younger ones are not at POL, I offer oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.

They sell different stages for a reason...I want healthy chickens (otherwise why bother) and I want good eggs...

After mine all reach POL I will offer the layer feed or flock raiser with oyster shell still on the side.

Everyone has their own ways, whatever works for you, go for it...this is what works for me.

Last edited:
Quote:
I definitely agree with you there, that's why I don't put the starter out any longer. A few of the shells were too thin and they would break at the slightest breeze. I have a hanging feeder with the layer in it. The little ones can't get to it to eat free choice (it's too high up). They do a great job scratching around in the coop and foraging for what Mama taught them. Do you take Mama with them? If I take them away, they go right back to being broody.

Quote:
Thanks the owner of the feed store says he feeds everyone laying mash for that same reason.

Quote:
The bag of feed says 20% protein. The brand is MG, I think it may be locally produced.

Quote:
Have him read the tags from each bag, then ask how they can be the same.........Good reason they are not the same,

I suppose I should mention that I definitely keep a waterer down on the ground for the babies. Don't forget that, it's been too hot everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom