The pecking order...

kimmiekitten86

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 22, 2013
I've got 10 Leghorns in a pen and a younger Ameraucana hen and her friend, an EE roo, both of which are about 15 weeks, in a separate pen right next to my Leghorns. Last night, I got 6 eight week old Jersey Giants, and a 21 week old Jersey Giant. I put them all in at night, the 8 weeks old with the Amerauacana/EE, and the 21 week old with my older Leghorns. This morning, I noticed that the Leghorns were picking on the new hen a little, not enough to draw blood or make me put her in a separate pen, and the Ameraucana/EE were picking on the 8 week old babies...again, not enough to make me take them out or draw blood, but enough to irritate me!
barnie.gif
I know if I take them out, it's just going to be worse in the long run...how long did it take before your girls accepted newbies?

Usually, when you get new birds, you quarantine to observe heath and parasites as to avoid bringing in diseases and such.

But, as for integration, best they fight it out now rather than later. It can take a few days to a few weeks or a month to get things worked out. No blood, let them go. Bloody comb or face patches are acceptable.

Normally, I would observe any new birds, but I got these from somebody I know personally and know that they are healthy. Thanks for the reassurance! My new hen is doing great now, but the 15 week old rooster and Ameraucana are still pecking at the 8 week old babies...I guess I just have to wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom