The perch experiment

I'm totally :pop:pop:pop for the tree branch since that's what I use
i agree, my birds use the roost in the run, it's a natural tree branch. the round post in the coop gets little use and they prefer the floor. and of course the nesting box if i forget to close it. both roosts are "circular" but one is real (and a bit wider) and the other is a prefab roost, (a bit thinner). waiting for the results.

Two things:

1. :pop
2. If you're looking for another month added to your study, I'd like to request PVC wrapped in mesh tape (or scuffed up or something, just not so smooth and slippery) and also a horizontal 2x12. (Or some kind of table top)

Thanks for doing this, it is a very cool study! I know the discussions of "what works best" have been carried out in length, so now we have some real data to look at!
Ryn.

PVC is on my list, hadn't decided to wrap it with anything. Will definitely consider. I was avoiding anything wider than the 2x4, mainly because the added width does not allow the nightly droppings to fall free. The concern here in Georgia is the fly population. If they start to accumulate waste around their vents it increases the risk of fly strike. I leave very early for work so I can't check and clean them in the morning, so they would be a mess all day. If I can find a way around this issue it may be added to the list. I don't think there would be much variation from the first test, but to be thorough I'd give it a go.

PVC is on my list, hadn't decided to wrap it with anything. Will definitely consider. I was avoiding anything wider than the 2x4, mainly because the added width does not allow the nightly droppings to fall free. The concern here in Georgia is the fly population. If they start to accumulate waste around their vents it increases the risk of fly strike. I leave very early for work so I can't check and clean them in the morning, so they would be a mess all day. If I can find a way around this issue it may be added to the list. I don't think there would be much variation from the first test, but to be thorough I'd give it a go.
That's fair. Ours like to sit on the porch a lot, so I was jist thinking something wide enough for them to sprawl out on, but I definitely agree thst there is no reason to endanger your flock for what could be minimal results.

Back
Top Bottom