Votes: 75 38.9%

• Total voters
Pics
@kurby22 Aerith, don’t remember how old it is 😅

B54A8D6A-696E-4B7A-8C52-E6FE7FCC1E50.jpeg
43A3ACFB-7798-4308-9EDC-A42414F86CB0.jpeg
399D0BC6-BE93-457A-A4CC-FF1370809DF2.jpeg
1983EAA3-C41B-4F9F-B6EB-7ED11AA0DEF2.jpeg

That is some WILD hair haha. From the front view I would "guess" pullet, however that is a very inconsistent Polish do! You got some very uncooperative Polish haha.
It’s been the only one that’s so plush and it’s fully black vs the silver/black. But I can see a few silver/black spikeys coming through today…

It’s time to crack down and get serious about how many roos is ideal to keep, so that means the Polish are getting some hard cuts 😭 I really want to keep Karen and Kevin… Not sure if they’d be happier in a different home though. My bantam pen also has an excess of roos, so I can’t put them there either. My husband insists on keeping one silver laced and I’m thinking Aerith will be the safest choice. Still can’t decide which way it goes lol. I’m picking up a white topped blue hen later this week 🎉

Well I have more sad Polish news :-( Another two of my Polish babies died yesterday 😢😢😢 I think I figured out why, and I feel stupid for changing my usual way of doing things. :-( So learn from my mistakes! Because I gave my broody silkies day old babies, I opted to feed them medicated chick starter instead of non-medicated. Well I learned a couple days ago that Amprolium is a thiamine blocker—which is how it helps them cocci free. However, if the bird is prone to vitamin deficiencies like many Polish seem to be…you can apparently cause them to become thiamine deficient and it causes them to grow slower, lose their balance, leg weakness, paralysis, anorexia, and death. :-( All three that died presented with those symptoms shortly before dying. I thought they were being bullied away from the food, so I upped their protein and treats, I thought maybe they needed more sun…but turns out they just needed different feed :-( I read in a couple of papers that the vitamin issues are passed down from the mother hen if she isn’t getting a proper diet…so it could explain why those three got sick and the other three seem to be doing okay. I gave them all some B complex vitamins and switched out their feed but it was too late to save the sick ones. So fingers crossed I solved the issue 😢😢 I’m now down to only Josephine and the two stronger healthier boys, Spider and Axel. I’m so very sad 😞 they were such sweet and beautiful girls. Axel got some love tonight…he has crooked hair and it makes him look extra goofy 🤪

Attachments

• 983CC4C6-E760-410F-A12D-A560D3D25936.jpeg
    983CC4C6-E760-410F-A12D-A560D3D25936.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 7F538568-A594-4478-844C-C72E43F93EF3.jpeg
    7F538568-A594-4478-844C-C72E43F93EF3.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 1
Well I have more sad Polish news :-( Another two of my Polish babies died yesterday 😢😢😢 I think I figured out why, and I feel stupid for changing my usual way of doing things. :-( So learn from my mistakes! Because I gave my broody silkies day old babies, I opted to feed them medicated chick starter instead of non-medicated. Well I learned a couple days ago that Amprolium is a thiamine blocker—which is how it helps them cocci free. However, if the bird is prone to vitamin deficiencies like many Polish seem to be…you can apparently cause them to become thiamine deficient and it causes them to grow slower, lose their balance, leg weakness, paralysis, anorexia, and death. :-( All three that died presented with those symptoms shortly before dying. I thought they were being bullied away from the food, so I upped their protein and treats, I thought maybe they needed more sun…but turns out they just needed different feed :-( I read in a couple of papers that the vitamin issues are passed down from the mother hen if she isn’t getting a proper diet…so it could explain why those three got sick and the other three seem to be doing okay. I gave them all some B complex vitamins and switched out their feed but it was too late to save the sick ones. So fingers crossed I solved the issue 😢😢 I’m now down to only Josephine and the two stronger healthier boys, Spider and Axel. I’m so very sad 😞 they were such sweet and beautiful girls. Axel got some love tonight…he has crooked hair and it makes him look extra goofy 🤪
Oh no, I’m so sorry 😭 It’s not fair, you were just trying to help them! Hopefully your next batch goes better 💕

Back
Top Bottom