The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cockerels grow pretty fast I could process some at twelve weeks on . But I would miss potential breeders. I've processed some at twenty seven weeks and find em still tender. It's about Resting the meat before freezing just my two cents worth. The pullets finish bfore the cockerels do

What chickens did you grow up with? From the folks in my parents generation, who grew up in the country, they all have said they process the fryers at 12 weeks. That was the rule! A hatchery bird will not have any meat on it at 12 weeks or at 16 or 20. Just does not have the genes for it. Too bad. The BR I have now can't be processed at 12 either, but at least they do fill out eventually.
Grew up with the CX. I did not grow up on a farm. My father and mother both did, but I'm a generation removed.

I am used to the store bought CX or cornish game hens.

I'm working on making my own meat bird by using a CX and heritage breeds. I'm one generation in. Next generation will have Buckeye VS the Barred Rock, as they grow almost twice as fast as my other breeds.

My cockerels grow pretty fast I could process some at twelve weeks on . But I would miss potential breeders. I've processed some at twenty seven weeks and find em still tender. It's about Resting the meat before freezing just my two cents worth. The pullets finish bfore the cockerels do
Even CX are tough if not rested to me.

I rest for 48 hours before freezing. IT does make a world of difference!

here's a cockerel almost five months old . He weighs a little over four lb

I would be happy with a carcass that size. We usually buy the smaller chicken at the butcher. 3 lbs dressed weight give or take.

The good thing about WRs are that they finish out well on forage and a little feed, whereas other breeds may require penning and a lot of feed. There's a reason why it's WR genetics in the standard broiler CX and not BRs or Buckeyes. Their density of meat fibers and their muscling at the breast and thigh is unparalleled, IMO.

And, a mature, spent layer hen is nearly as big as the cocks of any other breed out there. Here are two carcasses side by side...one is one half of a 6 yr old WR hen(hatchery stock) and the other is a whole carcass of 3 yr old RIR/BO cross cockbird. Note the length and fullness of her breast filets and even the size of the thighs....the hen is on the right. That hen had been living on a few bites of feed only each evening and the rest of her feed was foraged and she had been fed like that for a few months prior to this processing.

Thanks for the pics beekissed. That is one good looking piece of meat. I'm trying to get a hold of danny padgett and see if he has any white rocks or find someone coming down south that would maybe bring some birds down.

The good thing about WRs are that they finish out well on forage and a little feed, whereas other breeds may require penning and a lot of feed. There's a reason why it's WR genetics in the standard broiler CX and not BRs or Buckeyes. Their density of meat fibers and their muscling at the breast and thigh is unparalleled, IMO.

And, a mature, spent layer hen is nearly as big as the cocks of any other breed out there. Here are two carcasses side by side...one is one half of a 6 yr old WR hen(hatchery stock) and the other is a whole carcass of 3 yr old RIR/BO cross cockbird. Note the length and fullness of her breast filets and even the size of the thighs....the hen is on the right. That hen had been living on a few bites of feed only each evening and the rest of her feed was foraged and she had been fed like that for a few months prior to this processing.

Yes! Management is a big issue. You have birds that can finish out on pasture w/ a minimum of feed. A big advantage.

3 Years though.. This is not a 16 week old WR.

I'd like to see pictures of a cockerel before he crows dressed out.

I want something young.

I very rarely use hens for meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom