The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing how these pullets "round their edges" just at coming into lay. This photo was two weeks ago, coming home from Knoxville. Photos are always deceptive, but you can see she's is young and lack maturity in this photo.

Now just two short weeks later, she's the White standing behind the BR. The BR is precocious and super outgoing and well conditioned, while this White pullet is quite shy and has had no conditioning at all. Trying to take a photo is challenging because one bird wants to be right up next to you and the other avoids at all cost.

But look at the difference in just two short weeks. But, at this age, coming into egg laying, two weeks can make a tremendous difference in how "round" and "full" a pullet can look, even in photos.

Almost hard to believe it's the same bird, but it is.

Last edited:
I am enjoying this thread immensely. I have been following along for quite sometime but recently took the time to go back and start on page one post one and have read every single post so far. I am halfway through the thread and reading along has given me much pleasure and so much knowledge. I appreciate everyones views, comment, opinions and expertise, this thread stays on topic and that is so important. And I love that you all stay so personable as well. My favorite thread on BYC by far.

The more I read and learn and see pictures, I am falling in love with the Barred Plymouth Rocks, though those whites have amazing tail an most pictures I have seen. But I just cant get past the beauty of the crisp black and white contrast in the barred variety.

I plan to get some stock come Spring and start with a few to see how they work out for me, Im sure I will be hooked in increase the number of Rocks I have soon after lol. I recently started sorting through my own birds and my own plans to decide where to go from here to make space. I have decided I am parting with some of my existing flock mostly males of not much use so I don't get distracted with so many breeds to hatch from.

I have contacted uphilljill and have spoken with her about getting some of her eggs in the Spring when she is ready, I know she has stock from Fred and also Guy Roy so I am very excited to receive some eggs to hatch.

I am more of a lurker here since I am not very knowledgeable with this breed, but I plan to continue to read all I can and I will post when I have questions or need advice.

Thanks All for making this an amazing place to learn.

Kristin

I am enjoying this thread immensely. I have been following along for quite sometime but recently took the time to go back and start on page one post one and have read every single post so far. I am halfway through the thread and reading along has given me much pleasure and so much knowledge. I appreciate everyones views, comment, opinions and expertise, this thread stays on topic and that is so important. And I love that you all stay so personable as well. My favorite thread on BYC by far.

The more I read and learn and see pictures, I am falling in love with the Barred Plymouth Rocks, though those whites have amazing tail an most pictures I have seen. But I just cant get past the beauty of the crisp black and white contrast in the barred variety.

I plan to get some stock come Spring and start with a few to see how they work out for me, Im sure I will be hooked in increase the number of Rocks I have soon after lol. I recently started sorting through my own birds and my own plans to decide where to go from here to make space.  I have decided I am parting with some of my existing flock mostly males of not much use so I don't get distracted with so many breeds to hatch from.

I have contacted uphilljill and have spoken with her about getting some of her eggs in the Spring when she is ready, I know she has stock from Fred and also Guy Roy so I am very excited to receive some eggs to hatch.

I am more of a lurker here since I am not very knowledgeable with this breed, but I plan to continue to read all I can and I will post when I have questions or need advice.

Kristin
Kristin

The thing that I think is best about the thread is that we mostly follow the guidelines Fred outlined at the beginning

Its not a place for "a poultry photo/beauty contest" but rather a place to discuss issues, breeding techniques, positive AND negative attributes in our birds and to learn from each other....and no one gets their nose outta joint as we offer candid, but honest and tactful feedback to each other

It should be a thread that is truly "give and take"

Last edited:

I plan to get some stock come Spring and start with a few to see how they work out for me, Im sure I will be hooked in increase the number of Rocks I have soon after lol. I recently started sorting through my own birds and my own plans to decide where to go from here to make space. I have decided I am parting with some of my existing flock mostly males of not much use so I don't get distracted with so many breeds to hatch from.

Kristin

Kristin, if you can get on Jill's good side
wink.png
and secure some stock from her next year, I believe you'd be on cloud nine. Just be a bit patient, as Jill is going to want to take a good hard look at what her breeding produces this coming year. She's right on the cusp of making some of the best Barred Rock in that part of the country, believe me. Jill has an eye for this fancy and has made excellent decisions and choices over the past two years.

Kristin, if you can get on Jill's good side
wink.png
and secure some stock from her next year, I believe you'd be on cloud nine. Just be a bit patient, as Jill is going to want to take a good hard look at what her breeding produces this coming year. She's right on the cusp of making some of the best Barred Rock in that part of the country, believe me. Jill has an eye for this fancy and has made excellent decisions and choices over the past two years.

Thanks, I also believe I will be very happy to have Jill as my Rock source
smile.png
. I am patient and I understand she needs time to see what her specific pairing is going to throw her for offspring. I am in no rush (though excited to start). It makes me feel even more confident hearing all the nice things you all have to say about what Jill is doing with her birds.

I will hopefully be joining you all in the Rock world sometime in the future.

very exited about this cockerel . Bein in the breeding pen he still has a lot of growing to do bit he's gonna b nice

Last edited:
These birds have been a pleasure to work with and this thread is a great learning tool. I'm sure you will enjoy both, Kristin. :)

Whenever you're ready for either eggs or birds next year, let me know. It'll be nice to have someone else in the region working seriously with these.

These birds have been a pleasure to work with and this thread is a great learning tool. I'm sure you will enjoy both, Kristin.
smile.png

Whenever you're ready for either eggs or birds next year, let me know. It'll be nice to have someone else in the region working seriously with these.
smile.png
Thanks Jill. I will be in touch. I hope I can keep up with you all and continue on the same path of the great work you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom