The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I get the grey book comment, I'm a little slow but see they added a picture of the SOP on the front page of this forum. I knew mine was blue. Does the Barred color still call for a ratio of 60% black 40% white in both sexes? I'm hoping they change that someday, but I doubt the APA ever will.

I love it when progress is seen. It encourages you through the years. Long time readers know when this thread started, I was pretty open about the lack of hatching vigor I was seeing in my old line of Barred Rocks. This years hatch is a culmination of 3 years of work to try to improve the hatching vigor. Our so-called F2's (B1A) chicks hatching are 3/4 Good Shepherd based birds and 1/4 the so-called Maine line birds.

This batch is flat jumping out of the shells. Best vigor I've seen in this program yet. Very, very pleased. Got a few more pips and chicks to go.

EXCELLENT-Well done, Fred!!

Regarding the cock/male/rooster debate: in my defense yes, I used an amateur definition, but to state my innocence; I know all or almost all the correct terms when describing, defining, kibitzing about chicken related topics, just as I have a vast vocabulary in subjects outside the chicken world. My downfall is that I'm lazy in terms of typing and prefer acronyms or abbreviations or the F-bomb rather than type out the word...

Haha don't freak, I won't drop the F- bomb here. But, case in point: I used the word "roo." for cock/cockerel. Blasphemous, I know, however I truly didn't think I broke any rules at the time. Now I know better. So, because I really enjoy this thread I will play by the rules, even if it just might kill this rebel.

Our head male Jagger has finally finished up his molt and took his girls out for a stroll. I've hatched out over 150 of his chicks so far this spring. All of which have been sold save a few.

Last edited:
Justine, I know you did a lot of hatching out of those birds this spring, so, how was your fertility and hatching vigor?
It was fantastic Fred!! Especially later on once Jagger's molt was nearing completion. At first he wasn't getting them all fertilized. Now I rarely get an infertile egg. My hatch rates vary between 80-90%. I find they are coming before the other breeds too. Had one just hatch on day 18 before I moved the eggs to the hatcher. All the rest hatched as planned, but that one was anxious to get out I guess. Not the first time that has happened. It's happened every week for 3 weeks now. Though this week it was a Buckeye and not a Barred Rock.

I sent eggs to BC which is the furthest you can get away in provinces in Canada. She hatched 24/30 eggs I sent her. :)

It was fantastic Fred!! Especially later on once Jagger's molt was nearing completion. At first he wasn't getting them all fertilized. Now I rarely get an infertile egg. My hatch rates vary between 80-90%. I find they are coming before the other breeds too. Had one just hatch on day 18 before I moved the eggs to the hatcher. All the rest hatched as planned, but that one was anxious to get out I guess. Not the first time that has happened. It's happened every week for 3 weeks now. Though this week it was a Buckeye and not a Barred Rock.

I sent eggs to BC which is the furthest you can get away in provinces in Canada. She hatched 24/30 eggs I sent her. :)

Great Job.!!!!
thumbsup.gif
Especially after the winter we've had.

Ok, who begins culling for TYPE early. Was sitting with the birds tonight and in my first two hatches noticed a male with "pinkish legs" AND what we might call a cushion in the pullets. He is 14 weeks old and is headed for the stew pot. Saddles developing way undercolored and he is a tad knock kneed. Don't see the need to feed this one any longer Time to get WAY serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom