The Poop

So how do you know the difference between runny poo and cecals?
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if this type of poopy is OK? The pic is not very good in that it looks like there is blood in the poop but it's the camera. It is showing more orangish red than it should..I took a pic of my brother in law & he looked like he used that self tanning lotion to excess...so color aside please, just look at the size of it....it is very ribbon like. I just was able to finally determine which one it was, I only have 2 Buff Orpingtons. Neither seem sick or act oddly. It seemed to start out normal size then finished narrower. I checked both their vents & they are as clean as a whistle. This just started 4 days ago now. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm getting real worried about her, she is such a sweetie & loves to be held & petted! Thanks a bunch.

Thank you for the info!!! I am a new chicken mommy too.... And have been wondering... Wanting to make sure they are ok.

Not sure if she is OK or not, she is still having odd poops but she seems very healthy. She hasn't started laying yet but her "sister" who is smaller than her has been laying almost a week now. I'm still worried about her but don't know what to do. I added some medicated food to her regular food in hopes that would help but so far it hasn't. Thanks for asking.

It looks looks there is alot of grass or straw in her poo. almost looks undigested also. I have seen some like this too, but, only once in a while, not every poo. Wish i had some advice for you. Hope all is o.k.

Thanks for your response. She has mainly this type, sometimes very loose or watery. I only see what she does outside when we are letting her roam around not sure what type she has inside her run, hard to tell which one is leaving the droppings since there are 2 chickens. I started her on medicated food mixed with her regular food hoping that might help but so far there isn't any change. It's been going on now for over a week. If I recall now what it looked like in person, it did look like straw...wonder if that's a bad thing? Do they eat the straw I have in the nesting boxes & on the ground for them? I'm pretty new to chicken mommyhood & there is just SOOO much to know & watch out for.

does she have access to some grit? Loose poo isnt really a bad thing and mine will have a watery one once in a while, i've heard thats o.k. I am far from an expert, but I am also doing some online searches too. as long as she is pooing , that is good. if this has been going on for over a week and they have not shown signs of sickness, I wouldn't worry yourself crazy. Just keep an eye on them. Oh, and I have heard straw is not the best thing for bedding, it can hold on to moisture and mold can grow easily. I use pine shavings. Very inexpensive and compost very quickly. Keep me posted and Ill keep looking too.

Hiya, I hoped too that if she isn't showing any signs of being sick that maybe it wasn't too much to worry about. I read about them getting an egg stuck & didn't know if something like that could be going on. I really don't know what they symptoms are if that should happen. I had been using shavings but they wouldn't leave them in the nesting box, they would scrape them all out till the boxes were bare so I put in straw & they seemed to leave that in there. I use shavings on their poop board. I do keep the straw cleaned out every 2-3 days, I put new in. They have some straw in their run in places but we also keep that cleaned up regularly too especially after a rain. I look at her vent regularly too to make sure that the poo isn't getting stuck around it & it has been fine so far. Only the one is having this issue so I kinda assumed it wasn't anything too contagious since Gracie poos OK. Thanks.

yippiechickie.gif

Forgot to answer about the grit....yes we keep grit in their run all the time & weather permitting they are out each evening for an hour or 2 to free range in our fenced in yard. I do keep food & water in their coop at night time but it's so small there no room for another bowl of anything so they don't have access to it at night. We are in the process of moving them out of their new little coop to another building connected to their run. Why I didn't think of using that building before I bought a small Amish built coop for nearly $500 I'll never know....lol One of my blonde or senior moments I suppose....lol Hoping to be able to sell that coop but I know I'll take a hit on it & they have only been in it about 5 weeks. Oh well, live & learn (hopefully....lol)

Hiya, I hoped too that if she isn't showing any signs of being sick that maybe it wasn't too much to worry about. I read about them getting an egg stuck & didn't know if something like that could be going on. I really don't know what they symptoms are if that should happen. I had been using shavings but they wouldn't leave them in the nesting box, they would scrape them all out till the boxes were bare so I put in straw & they seemed to leave that in there. I use shavings on their poop board. I do keep the straw cleaned out every 2-3 days, I put new in. They have some straw in their run in places but we also keep that cleaned up regularly too especially after a rain. I look at her vent regularly too to make sure that the poo isn't getting stuck around it & it has been fine so far. Only the one is having this issue so I kinda assumed it wasn't anything too contagious since Gracie poos OK. Thanks.

yippiechickie.gif
My chickens have been having water poop the past few days, from what I've read it's from them drinking/eating more watery treats & the heat. It has been warmer & I started giving them yogurt as I notice less runny poop, ACV is added to their water...So I'm relieved now. I read your post, thought I'd mention PDZ for your Poop Board. Read about it on this site, it works GREAT! Check it out on the internet and this site, it's natural and easy clean. I use PDZ & some DE to clean the floors of my chicken house, thought I'd pass it on...

Back
Top Bottom