The Quacki Campbell Thread

Thank you very much! It is a Muscovy, it's my favorite chocolate pied drake, named Cocoa. He doesn't look very chocolate pied right now, though, because the sun has bleached his feathers. He should start moulting anytime now, and then his feathers will be real chocolate pied again.
Do you have Muscovies?
Yes i do have muscovies, one in your pic is very pretty!

Hi all, I just got my first eggs 10 mins ago from my campbell, Nelson Muntz. I have 2 females but I'm pretty sure Kearny didnt lay yet. After I wash the eggs, if i coat them in mineral oil will they stay for 2 weeks like with chicken eggs?
20190821_091543.jpg

Hi all, I just got my first eggs 10 mins ago from my campbell, Nelson Muntz. I have 2 females but I'm pretty sure Kearny didnt lay yet. After I wash the eggs, if i coat them in mineral oil will they stay for 2 weeks like with chicken eggs?View attachment 1884558

Congrats on your first eggs! I don't have any experience with coating eggs in mineral oil, though, so I'm sorry I can't answer that question.
The eggs in pic seem very dirty, you will want to use those ones soon, so they don't go bad. If the eggs are relatively clean when they are laid, then they will last for several weeks, unwashed, on your counter.
When eggs are laid they are coated in bloom which helps them last for a very long time. So, if the eggs are clean when they are laid, don't wash them and that will help them last for way longer. If you wash them, then the protective bloom on the outside of the egg will come off and they will deteriorate much more quickly, therefore, they will have to be stored in the refrigerator and won't last nearly as long.
I hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any other questions!
Have a blessed day! :)

Hi all, I just got my first eggs 10 mins ago from my campbell, Nelson Muntz. I have 2 females but I'm pretty sure Kearny didnt lay yet. After I wash the eggs, if i coat them in mineral oil will they stay for 2 weeks like with chicken eggs?View attachment 1884558

I do not use mineral oil personally, however my duck eggs often end up as dirty as yours, especially when it rains. When eggs are this dirty I wash them in hot water. The usda recommends water 20 degrees F hotter than the egg (if you use cold water then the bacteria can get sucked into the egg through the shell). After I wash them with hot water and they are dry I pop them in the fridge. They will keep for weeks this way. Keep them rotated and eat the oldest first. This time of year I have so many eggs I think I have some close to a month old. I haven’t found a bad one yet, though if I do come across one that has a crack in it, I play it safe and choose not to eat it if it’s an old egg.

I have changed my duck setup this summer and they no longer have swimming water in their pen, which is where they lay their eggs. Eggs are cleaner overall. The pool water doesn’t get as mucky as fast since they don’t have 24/7 access and the run stays cleaner and dryer overall.

Back
Top Bottom