The Quest for Chickens in Whittier, CA

I live in the City of Whittier and received a Code Enforcement notice requiring that I remove my flock of chicken (8 hens). The municipal code reference is WMC 18.06.228.

"Household pets" means and is limited to the following pets, maintained principally within a dwelling unit:
A. Domesticated cats;
B. Domesticated dogs;
C. Fish, without a limit on number;
D. 1. Any bird which is:
a. Customarily kept in residence of man;
b. Kept, at all times, within a dwelling unit;

2. Specifically, "bird" shall not include, among others, for the purpose of these regulations, chickens, hens, roosters, geese or ducks.

(Prior code § 9111(H)(9))

I will be requesting the City Council reconsider the stance on backyard chickens at their April 14th City Council meeting.

KJS

Thanks. Not sure yet. I will investigate some more and see what can be done. I will post again once I know more.

Thanks,
KJS

H KJS,
Wow. that totally sucks about the city and your chickens. I will be moving to the City of Whittier and have been planning to have 3 hens for eggs/pets. I just saw the post, otherwise I would have been at the council meeting as well. I have subscribed to the post now. Please let me know If I can be of any help or go and support the cause at the council meetings. I appreciate your activism and would like to help. Thanks. Linc

Last edited:
Linc, have you gotten chickens yet? I live in unincorporated Whittier and I have not had any complaints concerning my chickens, which I've had for nearly three years now. I didn't even bother calling Whittier city hall's planning dept. to find out if it is legal for me to have chickens, since I can't vote in city elections, if I need help I have to call Whittier/Norwalk Sheriffs, not Whittier P.D. and our taxes go to L.A. county, not the city. So I don't see how the city code can override the county code in this case. As I live in unincorporated Whittier, I care more about my neighbors, and they all have said that they have no problem with them. I have not had any complaints even when my Buff Orpington Buttercup decides to "sing" early on SUNDAY mornings!
barnie.gif

According to the office of the Senior Planner of L.A. county (as of May 2011), they have no problem with L.A. county citizens having chickens as long as they are not a source of income, are not used in fights, are well taken care of, their coop proximity to neighbors is not less than 90 ft. ( you may want to check on that) from neighbors dwellings and are not a public nuisance. I have no idea if that has changed, if so then I'm in BIG TROUBLE.
sad.png
Did you call the code enforcement for the city of Whittier, or L.A. county?

My personal feeling about the city of Whittier is that the sooner the city of Sante Fe Springs buys them out, the better!

Hi ZTea,
I have not moved in to my house. I will be living in the
City of whittier near uptown. I used to live in unincorporated whittier which is under county jurisdiction.
From what I understand, the city of whittier makes its own ordinances. I hope Im wrong,
because I will be ordering 3 chicks anyways and living as a hidden criminal. lol. I hope I have good neighbors that wont turn me in.
Please let me know if you know any way around these stupid laws. TY for your response and help.
Linc.
Ps. I called the city of Whittier and spoke with code enforcement. They said no chickens allowed.
1f61d.png
1f414.png
1f620.png

Last edited:
Hi KJS

Quote:
What is stupid about this chicken restriction is that the City of Whittier
Muni code reference 8.28.040 - Homing pigeons as a permitted use.
allows from 10-100 pigeons with a conditional permit. 100 Pigeons? now that's a lot of pigeon poop!

Last edited:
It; may be time to get political. SEATTLE allows chickens, and has a great organization with scheduled meetings on COOPs (many are gorgeous!) HOW to CARE FOR, and other subjects for chicken owners --and those who would like to know how to keep them safely and healthy! I am going to look for a website to learn about how to inform the Whittier that 6 hens are a valuable asset to most homes and that the regulations can be changed.

I live in the City of Whittier and received a Code Enforcement notice requiring that I remove my flock of chicken (8 hens).  The municipal code reference is WMC 18.06.228.

"Household pets" means and is limited to the following pets, maintained principally within a dwelling unit:
A. Domesticated cats;
B. Domesticated dogs;
C. Fish, without a limit on number;
D. 1. Any bird which is:
a. Customarily kept in residence of man;
b. Kept, at all times, within a dwelling unit;

2. Specifically, "bird" shall not include, among others, for the purpose of these regulations, chickens, hens, roosters, geese or ducks.

(Prior code § 9111(H)(9))

I will be requesting the City Council reconsider the stance on backyard chickens at their April 14th City Council meeting.

KJS

ANY LUCK ON THE APRIL 14TH MEETING TO MOVE FORWARD ON HAVING THEM?

I also Iive in Whittier, and have received a violation , for my 2 chickens, I already paid a fine, and now I am trying to find a new home for them. This is breaking my heart because I love
My girls.

Back
Top Bottom