The Ramp??

btrent94

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Glendale, AZ
How wide does the ramp need to be for layer hens .. i was thinking a foot wide but then someone said that they dont even need that much .. so i was wonding what you guys think would be the appropriate width for one ??

Probably 6 inches minimum, wider the longer the ramp is. What is just as important is having alot of slats for traction so the chickens don't go slipping down the ramp. I'd put the slats about 4 inches apart for traction.

I used a piece of 2x6 treated lumber for a ramp and I cut a strip of 2x3 welded wire and stapled it on top. It gives them plenty of traction and doesn't clog up with dirt like strips of wood do.

Quote:
At a minimum depending on the length of the ramp. The longer it is the wider it needs to be or it will begin to bow. More width on a longer ramp will give it rigidity.

I have chick that are bout 4 weeks built a chicken coop and wonder when and how is the best time to have them use the run, right now have it pulled up so they are in the nest but over the weekend had it down they never tried to go down all day, some one said start moving food up and down and they will follow any suggestions?

Quote:
sry ... i would help but this is my first time too
tongue.png
big_smile.png
tongue.png

Quote:
It would have been better if you had started a new thread than post in this one. This is a different subject, and a different forum; belongs in Chicken Behaviors.

Sounds like you just put them in the coop??? If so, you can try moving food and/or water, or just give them some time to adjust to their new home.

Back
Top Bottom