How long of a ramp will chickens climb?

Seger

Hatching
Jun 24, 2023
I am thinking of converting second story hay loft into chicken coop. It is perfect for the hens but will they climb up a proper angled installed ramp that is roofed and covered from the elements to a second story? Thank you for your advice.

I am thinking of converting second story hay loft into chicken coop. It is perfect for the hens but will they climb up a proper angled installed ramp that is roofed and covered from the elements to a second story? Thank you for your advice.
Could they and would they.
This lot are about twenty feet above ground level. They are bantams.
I've had bantam/dual puropose crosses do much the same.
My friends Fayoumies roost in his open loft 3 stories up.

1687603434685.png

What I've found is the chickens that can get to high places tend to fly up in stages if the can't make the jump in one.
Some chickens can get to roost spots in high places and others not so much. A lot I think is going to depend on the breed of the chicken.

I'm not convinced that a ramp is going to make things any easier. Even a ramp leading from ground to a pop door in a raised coop (3 foot off the ground) is rarely walked up by adult chickens. They usually hop on at some point along the ramp, even the heavier breeds.

You might get better results by providing jump platforms or bars which they can jump up from to the next level.

Will they do it? Only a trial and attempted training will tell.

Could they and would they.
This lot are about twenty feet above ground level. They are bantams.
I've had bantam/dual puropose crosses do much the same.
My friends Fayoumies roost in his open loft 3 stories up.

View attachment 3553885

What I've found is the chickens that can get to high places tend to fly up in stages if the can't make the jump in one.
Some chickens can get to roost spots in high places and others not so much. A lot I think is going to depend on the breed of the chicken.

I'm not convinced that a ramp is going to make things any easier. Even a ramp leading from ground to a pop door in a raised coop (3 foot off the ground) is rarely walked up by adult chickens. They usually hop on at some point along the ramp, even the heavier breeds.

You might get better results by providing jump platforms or bars which they can jump up from to the next level.

Will they do it? Only a trial and attempted training will tell.
Thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom