The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say "borrowed," I say "sanctified." Whatever the origins of the traditions, however, Christmas in and of itself is a 100%, completely Christian holiday (holy day).

To argue that Christmas is not a strictly Christian holiday is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Were there other holidays on Dec. 25? Yes. That does not in any way make them equivalent to Christmas. Notice the "Christ" in the word. Many non-Christian traditions were adopted, but that still does not make Christmas itself not strictly Christian. I honestly don't see how you can argue that a holiday specifically for celebrating the birth of Christ is in any way not Christian.

Here's an example. If I have a birthday on the same day as someone else, but I'm a few years younger, that does not mean that my birthday is not really my birthday, and that I based it on someone else's.

So ludicrous that Christmas was banned by Christians in the 1600s for being viewed as non-Christian? I know a few mondern Christians who do not celebrate it for similar reasons. I read the point of this post as an explaination that Christmas has diverse roots and is also celebrated for those reasons. That it came about from different traditions, and that those reasons are still very much apart of the season for some. Similarly, I know people who celebrate Easter for the traditional celebrations of fertility and the coming Spring it was based on, rather than for the Christian meaning and name it has taken on. Some celebrate it in a secular manner. Some celebrate it as a part of their faith. Most blend different traditions. Were Christmas taken off the list as a federal holiday, that would be a step towards making it a celebration for Christians only. I would imagine a new holiday with a new name would arise for other groups and belief systems in that case. As long as it enjoys a federal holiday status though, people will use the many other reasons behind Christmas, and the name, to enjoy this time of year (and time off work).

PS. Mom's Folly says it better...again. XD

Last edited:
Most of the things we do at Christmas time are not religious, they are cultural.

Cultural:
trees
gifts
cards
lights
decorating
shopping
caroling
Santa, elves, reindeer
the Nutcracker
mistletoe
parties
dressing up
holly, wreathes
cooking special food
having time off work
snowmen

Religious:
going to church
celebrating the birth of Christ
singing songs of praise
setting up a creche

A person who had never seen our culture would think the holiday was important, but might not be able to figure out what was being celebrated. This is not a fight against Christians or Christianity or Christmas; it is simply a fact of modern American culture. I think this is why some Christians opt out of the whole thing.

When I lived in Germany, with a Germany family, Sundays and Christmas were very different from here. Germany is considered to be far less of a Christian country than the US, with fewer people self identifying as Christian. But, every Sunday, no one worked, other than the necessary cooking and farm chores required for the day. Knitting and homework were even considered work. No one mowed their lawn, did chores, grocery shopping or errands on Sundays. Stores were closed. As for Christmas. The tree went up Christmas Eve, and came down several days later. The other decorations came down on Epiphany, the traditional end to the Christmas season. Small gifts were exchanged.

Last edited:
One view on the origin of Christmas. The article does not mention Constantine but I have read elsewhere that he had a hand in the origin of Christmas. I guess it does mention Constantine.
tongue.png

During the Crusades all Anglo Saxons were considered Christians which we now know was not the case.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_and_how_did_Christmas_start

Last edited:
I am a Christian, but some need to read Jeremiah 10:1-5. It's what God says about the tree.

Last edited:
Most people think I am anti christmas.. when really I am not... you celebrate the way you want and If I dont want to then thats my choice..

when people say merry christmas to me I simply reply thanks and you have a happy holiday... well for some thats not good enough... and i get the third degree about it

when the school found out there is no decorated tree at my house they centered my daughter out and grilled her on the why not of it all.... because I choose not to put one up... I have to many animals and the thing always gets knocked to the floor and I am NOT tying a tree to my wall to stop it from falling.. and secondly my daughter who is 9 does not know how to NOT touch things.. she will have it un-decorated and re decorated 4X a day

all I have to say is celebrate anyway you want and if that means the tree and the food and the church service go for it all the power to you I am not stopping you...if you want to dance under the moon sans-clothing.. go for it.. but please please dont tell me because I choose not to celebrate it that I am wrong or depriving my kids...

I really thought that most of the OPs first post was common knowledge. We were just talking about the other traditions that were rolled into Christmas at Church last night. There was also a show on the history channel (or a similar channel) a few days ago regarding the non-Christ based traditions we follow. I don't find it insulting at all.

Let's face it, folks. If there were not some sort of outward display for the celebration of the birth of Christ, it would be little more than a one hour service of piety at a church.

All of the heathens don't mind the gaiety, the gluttony and the wanton waste of natural resources....What they are upset about, is the Christ in CHRISTmas.

They don't mind a holiday tree. They despise a Christmas tree.
They don't want it called the Christmas holiday or Christmas break, for school kids. They want to call it winter break.

Long held traditions, like a creche on the courthouse lawn, have become a huge bone of contention, not because it's a bunch of plywood figures, standing inside a barn, around a feed trough, with a little baby in it....It's the little baby, and what he represents, which they despise......The fact that we are all sinners, and without an advocate between us and the final judge, we are doomed to eternal punishment....The irony, in front of a courthouse.

BTW, unlike most earthly advocates, who will take the shirt off your back, to represent you, his advocacy is free for the asking....But you do have to ask.

So, yes, in the end, I'd say there is war, of sorts, about CHRISTmas, and the Christian religion, in general, in society.

Last edited:
Americans rarely follow any religion to the letter anyhow, we always seem to put a twist on it and "americanize" it. Why would Christmas be any different? The only difference is most of our fellow citizens do not want to blow us up for doing it differently.

Adam Coralla had a little to say about Christmas versus Holiday...

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm a Christian, let me put that out there so you know where I'm coming from, and let me state as well that I don't mean to offend in the following statements.

I honestly do not find it offensive when people don't emphasize Jesus' birth during Christmas. Because he wasn't born remotely close to this time. There is much debate about when he was born, but some dude (can't spell his name to save my life) tried to change the date that everyone knew Jesus was born on.

And the Catholics really didn't start celebrating Christmas until they incorporated the other holidays' traditions, which I believe makes Christmas not an entirely Christian holiday.

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom