The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Haha, the heathen comment is a word that can get tossed around amongst Christians as a joke. I've heard it a few times, and have used it some. But I never use it in a serious manner, and would not call a unbeliever/non-Christian (typically) a heathen due to it in general being seen as a insulting word. For that reason, I don't use it because it can be taken in a insulting way by others.

On topic of the thread though, I am someone who knew the history typically of Christmas and that it wasn't specifically the birth of Christ. I am pretty much for keeping Christ in Christmas, as it is Christmas. If you're another religion then you're welcome to call the season by what you wish, be it Hannukkah or whatever. I personally see Christmas, as that is what it is called.

From what I recall (I'd have to look it up again to be sure, so take this with a grain of salt), the term "heathen" was used to describe people who didn't convert to Christianity. The religion spread through Europe first through cities. Then as now, people in the more rural areas tended to be more conservative, and thus more resistant to change and conversion -- they held strongly to their traditional beliefs, which happened to be non-Christian.

"Heathen" comes from "heath" and "heather" -- plants that abounded in the non- or less-forested wilder areas of Europe, especially in the British Isles. Many of the people who were resistant to converting to Christianity lived out in the "heath lands" and were referred to as "heathens" in a sort of "country-folk" kind of way. When much of the "city-folk" population had converted to Christianity, the term "heathen" was also applied to those "country-folk" who weren't moving with the times, which, back then, meant converting to Christianity.

I'm not surprised, though oftentimes when I think heathen I think of "an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person. " (Dictionary.com)

If I recall correctly, even Darwin in the Descent of Man used the term heathen to speak in regards of an indian fellow. Could be wrong on that, he may have used another word.

God bless,
Daniel.

Mathew, I would urge you to go back and reread the entire thread.

Most of what is considered "celebrating Christmas" has little to do with Christ or the celebration of his birth. That is why many Christians opt out.

Trees, holly, mistletoe, gift giving, days off work, shopping, feasting, caroling, Santa, reindeer, parties, dressing up etc. are all cultural, not religious. Acknowledging that much about the holiday is not religious does not demean the holiday or make it less significant to those who believe. It does however allow those who are not Christian to participate in a holiday that has become uniquely American. I have Jewish friends who kids are visited by Santa, and I have many Indian friends who embrace the Christmas traditions without embracing Christ.

Quote:
Does this also mean that unless you are celebrating Saturn, you can't watch Saturday Night Live?

wink.png

Quote:

You're completely missing my point. I'm saying, if you want to celebrate whatever other holiday on December 25, go ahead - but don't call it Christmas. And no, I am NOT saying that the other holidays are "inferior." I am saying that being on the same day does not mean Christmas = pagan holiday or that pagan holiday = Christmas.

As for my last point, I'm saying that completely separate celebrations can be on the same day, and you're actually proving my point. Traditions may be similar (or even the same), but the purpose is different. Christmas is Christian, with various traditions from various cultures incorporated. Am I saying that non-Christians should stop celebrating the holidays? No. But I'm saying it doesn't make a lot of sense to claim that Christmas is not Christian because of some traditions. Here's another example - Earth Day is on Vladimir Lenin's birthday. That does not make them equivalent at all. If you're Communist, you can celebrate Lenin's birthday, if you're someone concerned about the environment, you can celebrate Earth Day. But you don't call them the same thing, nor do they serve the same purpose. See what I'm saying?

After all that rambling, it just struck me that the phrase "Happy Holidays" makes a lot more sense now. One thing I'm not understanding - what's with some of the near-flaming going on here? Looking back at the OP's post, it seems like there may have been some poor word choice, but he/she was simply stating that Christmas traditions were of non-Christian origin. I misinterpereted it as well, hence this post.
wink.png
That much is accurate, and I don't think the OP meant that Christmas itself was not Christian.

In other words, we may all be violently agreeing with each other.
lol.png
This is being typed real-time, hence the change in tone and argument.

Q9, what do you propose we do about renaming the days of the week that refer to pagan gods? 'Cause I guess we shouldn't be calling it Wednesday anymore if we don't believe in Odin.

wink.png

I think a lot of this is really silly. What this part of the "war on Christmas" seems to be about is too many people concerned with what OTHER people do. Does it really affect you what I call my December 25th celebration, and how I celebrate it? Not really. Do what you want in your celebrations (whatever you call them), as long as no one gets hurt. And I hope you have a great time during them!

smile.png

Quote:
You are right...It's been called Christmas for centuries. Why, suddenly, in the last 40 years, or so, must we start removing every vestige of the word for the public square? Leave well enough alone.

How has this subject somehow inspired more argument than other, more volatile topics? It's not exactly going to have far-reaching effects on society in general, and is really just annoying. I think I'm gonna go with Eenie. Screw this, and have a Merry Christmas. I, for one, will be celebrating the birth of Christ. The rest of y'all can celebrate presents or the rebirth of the sun or whatever. Just don't try to force people to stop saying Christmas so they don't offend anyone - Wal-Mart management, I am looking at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom