The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Sheri I agree. A Rhodebar cock is double barred. A single barred cock is one step away from being a true Rhodebar. I also believe that you can use high quality Reds to bring those traits into your Rhodebar line without giving up the utility benefits by simply breeding both your Reds and your Rhodebars to emphasize the original reasons both breeds were bred.

Many of the show quality lines have had the focus moved from the original purpose of the breed to the actual physical appearance of the bird with little regard to their egg laying ability, table hardiness, or even things like broodiness. I want these qualities in my lines so I will be breeding to those goals along with type and color. I personally think that you can have all the qualities if that is what you want simply by breeding for those qualities. I see traits lost when people focus on a few things and the other traits ignored.

Reds were specifically bred to fill certain needs by those on the farm before Reds were ever put in the show ring and those are the traits that are important to me. Rhodebars were bred to be an auto-sexing Red which would maintain the Reds traits with the added benefit of being auto-sexing at hatch. That is what is important to me.

So when I look at my Rhodebar cockerel with his tail pointing up in the air I know that is something I want to breed out of my line and bring in a lower tail like the Reds. When I look at him, at nearly to the same age as my Red cockerels, and I see how much narrower his back is then my Reds, I know that is a flaw I want to fix in my Rhodebar line. I believe that you can breed towards the standard and still have good utility traits in both the Reds and the Rhodebars.

Penny

Here are better pictures after they dried... I see one pullet.. One cockerel.. And then i dont know what this light one is..

Love, love, love baby chicks.

It looks like a male and female, not sure about the yellow one. If I get yellow chicks, when mine are finally old enough to breed, I will cull the yellow ones (not breed them) and only breed the chicks that are easily sexed at hatching, regardless of what/how the yellow ones turn out. That is my plan at the moment, at least.

Penny

Love, love, love baby chicks.

It looks like a male and female, not sure about the yellow one. If I get yellow chicks, when mine are finally old enough to breed, I will cull the yellow ones (not breed them) and only breed the chicks that are easily sexed at hatching, regardless of what/how the yellow ones turn out. That is my plan at the moment, at least.

Penny

Okay good!! This is my first hatch of Rhodebars so i didnt know what was up with the yellowish one..

Quote:
this is Correct. always cull for the best trait of a Rhodebar. Autosexing.. I also see one male and one female. the light yellow chicks is a wheaten based Rhodebar and from the light looks of it it seems to be a male.. but again sexing wheaten birds its tricky..

I personally would not buy a bird from Greenfire Farms. I think they do not understand chicken genetics and are fleecing people with their prices. If a Rhodbar is producing green eggs, there is a problem with what they are doing or someone sold them birds that were inferior to say the least. They should have cleaned up the genome of their birds before they started selling the birds. The more I hear about the problems with the birds they sell- they are leaving themselves open for a law suet. If I buy a Chevrolet truck, and the car dealer delivers a Chevy truck that contains Ford and Toyota parts- I will return the truck and ask for the truck I paid for or give me back my money.

If somebody created rhodebars in England, then some one in the united states could synthesize the birds.

I have not seen any research literature that would indicate there is a dark barring gene. If anyone at BYC has a research manuscript or even anecdotal test crossing that would support the dark barring gene. Please post the information.

Tim

Last edited:
Here Here Tim.... If you think about it in the days that the Autosexing breeds were being created they did not think of using "dark barring"... The way they breed BPR back then... was to use double mating... to get the males and females about the same color....I have a copy of the thesis paper from the UBC that created the Barred New Hampshire or Hampbar if you'd like a copy... ? Take a look at this web page maybe you have seen it but it gives good info on Rhodebars...

http://www.harislau.info/rhodebar

Keith

Back
Top Bottom