The Rhodebar thread!

Marvin I don't know about the genetics of the Delaware but from everything I have read about them is that they have been extremely poorly bred, about to the point of extinction. Trying to find quality Delawares would be a challenge and you may end up worse off then crossing the Rhodebar to a Production Red.

There are a few members of BYC who are working on the Delawares to try and bring back some decent lines.

Penny

Actually it's very easy to get quality Delawares. Contact cathyinmo on this board. She has developed a strain that is fantastic.

These are my Rhodebars, I have 3 pullets and 3 cockerels. 1 of the pullets is "off", with more of a laced pattern than barred.

I need to get individual photos of all the cockerels, they are pretty much carbon copies of each other in terms of body shape, with some variation in size. I had one with almost no black from a different source, but he had a twisted leg and eventually I had to cull him. They are about 3 months old now.

This is the darkest of the 3 cockerels, but all 3 have a fair amount of black on them.

One of my pullets with 3 of the others

The other properly colored pullet

My funky feathered pullet. Any idea on the genetics behind this pattern? Considering all of my birds came from the same source, what are the chances the others will product this type of pattern?

Looks like the bottom one is penciled. I would say she is lacking the Columbian genes while carrying the pattern genes. Not what you want to see in a Rhodebar, but pretty just the same. Shame they do not have penciled/Partridge RIR.

Will post a bunch of F1 pics later today. 9 hatched, 6 more pipping, 5 more question marks.
About half of those that hatched are chipmunk... The other half look marked and colored just like my really dark HRIR chicks. Interesting... more later

Will post a bunch of F1 pics later today. 9 hatched, 6 more pipping, 5 more question marks.
About half of those that hatched are chipmunk... The other half look marked and colored just like my really dark HRIR chicks. Interesting... more later

Awesome!!!! I just put mine in lockdown. Hoping I get a better hatch this time. I also have a few RC HRIR in there so hoping those hatch.
Can't wait to see pics.

Penny

Looks like the bottom one is penciled. I would say she is lacking the Columbian genes while carrying the pattern genes. Not what you want to see in a Rhodebar, but pretty just the same. Shame they do not have penciled/Partridge RIR.

Would a Co/co+ bird look like a Rhodebar? Would there be any way to visually tell a Co/co+ vs Co/Co in a Rhodebar?

So chances are both of her parents are Co/co+, which made her co+/co+ And I've probably got a few Co/co+ in the other 5 birds.

I think she's pretty, assuming she lays well she'll definitely stay in my layer flock. My goal with that flock is a wide variety of eye candy that lays well, don't have anything penciled yet :) Would she be of any use in producing autosexing or sex link chicks, with a Rhodebar or other rooster?

I've looked through this thread but can't find it, do you know what the genetic codes are for a Rhodebar?

Hello everyone! This thread is fantastic; I'm very excited to possibly join in on the breeding fun. I'm new to chickens, but have a passion for them (and ranching, but that's not related to this).

I purchased 2 dozen fertile eggs from This Lady, she said she got hers from rarebreed.com, and that those were from Green Fire stock. I do not know anything other than what I have mentioned, regarding what is now my own flock of what I hope are pure Rhodebars. I plan on breeding my best rooster with a Heritage RIR, depending on what you all have to say about my birds. Like I said, you all know infinitely more than I do regarding Rhodebar, so I'm looking for advice.

I will post pictures soon, give me a day or two.

They were hatched November 4-5th of 2013.

Hello everyone! This thread is fantastic; I'm very excited to possibly join in on the breeding fun. I'm new to chickens, but have a passion for them (and ranching, but that's not related to this).

I purchased 2 dozen fertile eggs from This Lady, she said she got hers from rarebreed.com, and that those were from Green Fire stock. I do not know anything other than what I have mentioned, regarding what is now my own flock of what I hope are pure Rhodebars. I plan on breeding my best rooster with a Heritage RIR, depending on what you all have to say about my birds. Like I said, you all know infinitely more than I do regarding Rhodebar, so I'm looking for advice.

I will post pictures soon, give me a day or two.

They were hatched November 4-5th of 2013.

We love pictures. Welcome to BYC and the Rhodebar thread.

Back
Top Bottom