The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
A couple of questions since I've learned the past day or so that there are other folks who got blue/green/olive egg-laying Rhodebar chicks from Greenfire. So who has purebred Rhodebars? I'd like to get some hatching eggs or chicks - but I don't want to raise anymore chicks for six months only to find out they're not purebred. And if some of the chicks from Greenfire aren't purebred, are there any guarantees thay any of them are? Aren't all the Rhodebar chicks in the U.S. from Greenfire?

Last edited:
oh and honestly not sure if it's the same pair. in my brooder i have about 10 or so rhodebars right now from the last 3 hatches. If I can think about it I will band a pair of them so i can make sure pics are the same birds each time

All of this talk about cross breeding and everything made me remember a thought I had way back when they were first being sold. I noticed that one of the roosters had an almost solid black (with white barring) breast with no sign of red in the breast. I just figured it was a bad looking bird but looking back, it makes sense now...

That it might have just been a bad example of the breed, but a mix breed?

So I have a rhodebar roo and was thinking about breeding him to a couple of my Dick Hortsman rose comb RIR pullets and try to start rose comb rhodebars.What do you guys think? It would be a really cool bird being auto sexing, good layer and rose comb to help with frost issues.Any thoughts bad or good?

So I have a rhodebar roo and was thinking about breeding him to a couple of my Dick Hortsman rose comb RIR pullets and try to start rose comb rhodebars.What do you guys think? It would be a really cool bird being auto sexing, good layer and rose comb to help with frost issues.Any thoughts bad or good?
well your first cross wont be autosexable at hatch, but lucky for you the Rose comb is dominant to single comb, so take the best pullets, mate them back to Rhodebar rooster and you should be hatching 50% Rose comb Rhodebar looking chicks, some Autosexing some wont...just cull the ones that are not.. keep the best do a sibling crossing and you should have good quality Rose comb Rhodebars

well your first cross wont be autosexable at hatch, but lucky for you the Rose comb is dominant to single comb, so take the best pullets, mate them back to Rhodebar rooster and you should be hatching 50% Rose comb Rhodebar looking chicks, some Autosexing some wont...just cull the ones that are not.. keep the best do a sibling crossing and you should have good quality Rose comb Rhodebars

Thanks for this information.I was not sure what path to take to get good results.So by going by your instructions I should have auto sexing birds after 3 generations?1st being my rhodebar roo to my rir's,then the best looking females back to the rhodebar roo then finally breeding siblings? Thay will be the plan.

Thanks for this information.I was not sure what path to take to get good results.So by going by your instructions I should have auto sexing birds after 3 generations?1st being my rhodebar roo to my rir's,then the best looking females back to the rhodebar roo then finally breeding siblings? Thay will be the plan.
thats correct...

Rose combed rhodebars will be interesting. I am working on rose combed legbars because as my birds proved, the huge single combs will not work in my climate.

As soon as my pullets start laying I am going to start this project.It should be any day now. Having true heritage rose comb RIR's I am hoping to get birds a little darker but we will see.

Back
Top Bottom