The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came home in the dark - shut the coop hatch and went in to count the hens - had that horrible sinking feeling when 2 were missing. Found the carcass of one of my ee's in the yard- hawk got her. Could see a huge portion of feathers from one of the hens that is in the coop safe, looked like she lost a whole tail set - and I haven't found a small BA hen, who was one of only three laying right now.

Am hoping she will turn up tomorrow, but she is small enough that a red tail or eagle could easily take her.

I am lucky it is saturday as I will close them up in the small outdoor run that has a wire fence roof. WIll put up snow fencing and chicken wire for the walls. Hate to keep them enclosed, but I lost two last year to hawks at this same time of year.

Feeling pretty sick about it. I am changing into chore clothes and going to go out and take a closer look at the hen whose feathers were in the yard to see if she has any injuries.

It is going to be down to 18 F tonite, and I can tell the hens in the coop are in shock - thinking the attack might have happened pretty early in the day as there wasn't much feed or water taken so they might have been in the coop for most of the day hiding.

Any thoughts on whether I might want to boost a little supplemental heat for them because of the shock? Or let them be?

I just drank my first dose of ACV+ all by itself. I started with 1 Tbs. Interestingly, it didn't have the taste that I associate with ACV and it "burned" all the way down. Twenty minutes later and all is good! No, the burning didn't last 20 minutes...just meaning that I am fine.
I like the taste but I have been drinking it for a few years too. I usually put 2 capfuls to a12 oz glass of water.

Came home in the dark - shut the coop hatch and went in to count the hens - had that horrible sinking feeling when 2 were missing. Found the carcass of one of my ee's in the yard- hawk got her. Could see a huge portion of feathers from one of the hens that is in the coop safe, looked like she lost a whole tail set - and I haven't found a small BA hen, who was one of only three laying right now.
Am hoping she will turn up tomorrow, but she is small enough that a red tail or eagle could easily take her.
I am lucky it is saturday as I will close them up in the small outdoor run that has a wire fence roof. WIll put up snow fencing and chicken wire for the walls. Hate to keep them enclosed, but I lost two last year to hawks at this same time of year.
Feeling pretty sick about it. I am changing into chore clothes and going to go out and take a closer look at the hen whose feathers were in the yard to see if she has any injuries.
It is going to be down to 18 F tonite, and I can tell the hens in the coop are in shock - thinking the attack might have happened pretty early in the day as there wasn't much feed or water taken so they might have been in the coop for most of the day hiding.
Any thoughts on whether I might want to boost a little supplemental heat for them because of the shock? Or let them be?

Let 'em be.

Sorry for your loss, we had a near miss today also, Thank goodness they are hawk smart and took cover but one of my EEs was missing till roost time, where ever she was hiding it was good because we looked all over for her. Seems hawks are around more since winter is here. Hope your injured one is okay.

I bet that broke your heart, to see your good birds in that situation.
sad.png
I don't understand how people can't see the obvious. I'm doomed to have to point it out to those who cannot see or those who refuse to see. Either way it gets old.

Do you think she will do as you suggest?

That one would go better with the blog title...I like it!
She has ONE chance to remedy this mess. If not, no more cockerels from me. I'd rather eat them, or give them to Food for the Soul to use to feed the hungry. There is a lot of meat on my cockerels, and they deserve a better end.

Interesting thst she is having the same problem with her sheep. Way too many, on too little ground, so the parasites are killing them. Because of the fact that she WANTs to be chemical free, she does not treat until it's too late, even though she KNOWS she has a problem. More land, or fewer sheep. The answer again is over burdening the available land ,so the parasites and stress take over.

Sorry for your loss, we had a near miss today also, Thank goodness they are hawk smart and took cover but one of my EEs was missing till roost time, where ever she was hiding it was good because we looked all over for her. Seems hawks are around more since winter is here. Hope your injured one is okay.

I was out in the backyard day before yesterday with the flock....all of a sudden they all ran to get under the bushes....I stood and looked in the trees, but couldn't see anything......as I was dumping the coop poops in the other half of the backyard, a red tail flew so close to me, I could touch him! I'm so sorry for your loss......

Bee....I need to know the transition look of poops from dry food to FF please......from what I see.......a lot darker?

The hen with all the missing feathers in the coop doesn't seem to have any obvious injuries, so I think she is fine. I checked and they are all warm under the feathers, and I told myself Bee would say I wasn't doing them any favors by adding heat. Came back and checked in and sure enough, Bee says let em be.

I looked at the carcass of poor isabella - who hasn't been laying since molt this fall. She had a good layer of fat on her back. Tomorrow in daylight I will see if I can do a little exploring of her innards. She was always a loner and didn't stay with the flock.

thanks Miss Lydia and Lovigee - over the years I've lost hens to predators, once nearly a whole flock to a pair of dogs, and I still get sick at heart. I would give anything to be in a situation where I could bring a good dog here to help protect them.

Last edited:
Dang...if we all get BEE mugs and accessories, we'll all have to have a reunion somewhere and sit around sipping tea and reminisce about all the stuff we've learned.

not-available.gif
happy-friends-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:
The hen with all the missing feathers in the coop doesn't seem to have any obvious injuries, so I think she is fine. I checked and they are all warm under the feathers, and I told myself Bee would say I wasn't doing them any favors by adding heat. Came back and checked in and sure enough, Bee says let em be.
I looked at the carcass of poor isabella - who hasn't been laying since molt this fall. She had a good layer of fat on her back. Tomorrow in daylight I will see if I can do a little exploring of her innards. She was always a loner and didn't stay with the flock.
thanks Miss Lydia and Lovigee - over the years I've lost hens to predators, once nearly a whole flock to a pair of dogs, and I still get sick at heart. I would give anything to be in a situation where I could bring a good dog here to help protect them.

hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom