The Rooster I Couldn't Kill

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Euarto Gullible, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Euarto Gullible

Euarto Gullible Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Pueblo, CO``
    I've been hatching our own chicks and butchering the extra roosters for meat. For the last 2 months, a Maran barnyard cross, that I've named Kurt Russell, has been the alpha rooster. I've been putting off butchering him because I like him. He's 23 weeks now. I put him in the shed yesterday with water. I went to get him today, and picked him up. He struggled so much more than the others when I went to get them. The desire to live-the fight in him was incredible. I decided he's just too healthy, too strong, too well-formed, too beautiful, and too well-behaved to kill. I never had intentions of keeping a mutt over my flock, because I intended to breed. I'm curious if anybody else has mutt roosters over their flocks that they never intended to keep?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is a strong and vigorous looking rooster - a real beauty. He would make a great flockmaster for an egg producing flock.

3. risk

risk Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Lexington Tennessee
    He is very petty and very beautiful... I keepchickens mostly for pets and raise a few baby's..

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

He's a beautiful guy! I don't blame you, he's a keeper! But then again, I'd have to keep them all! Thanks for sharing.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sure have! So long as they are nice to me, I've been known to keep mutts roosters. You don't have to raise chicks from him, just enjoy having him around.

6. glendaschicks

glendaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Awww He's beautiful!! I'm having trouble getting rid of a couple of roos myself.

7. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mutt roo( I hatched myself) I might keep he's so pretty
    [​IMG]
    He is a BO roo over a BR hen
    [​IMG]
    The older he gets the prettier he gets.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Kurt Russell is a very handsome fella!

Most of my fairly large flock is "mutt" or "mutt stock" because I let broody hens hatch and raise chicks willy-nilly. About twice a year, I break out an incubator to hatch pure-bred birds from purchased eggs so there are different genes to add.

So, I have never really intended to butcher this or that rooster..... I can still appreciate someone's stay of execution order for a particularly fine example of Roosterness. ;)

9. Euarto Gullible

Apr 14, 2013
    Pueblo, CO``
    I saw him chase a big tom cat from the chicken yard the other day. I definitely made the right choice. I lost a few hens to a nasty red-tailed hawk (that thankfully has moved on) so I threw 7 BO eggs fertilized by Kurt Russell in the incubator. I'm curious to see what I get.

10. Euarto Gullible

Apr 14, 2013
    Pueblo, CO``
    Chickens R Us, your roo has nice coloration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by