The Rooster I Couldn't Kill

Here's his dad Reggie who sadly I lost to a fox attack, his sun (above) was going to be in the pot but I just couldn't bring myself too so I asked frizzle if he wanted him and now he has a second chance at life.

Last edited:
I also raise chickens (small flocks) and did not expect a cross. However I have a Buffington and Aruncana cross. It is 24 weeks old and I also ended up with 3 roosters. This is the only cross this spring. I was going to give it away and I know it would have ended up in a soup pan....But this cross is really nice and I have had a few crosses in the past and they were kind to the flock. I would say keep him...If it does not work out....you can always do what you were going to in the beginning...ouch! But I think you may like him!

Every day, I am more glad I made the choice to keep him. Totally awesome rooster. He is good with the ladies. I throw them treats and he always guards the treats to make sure his ladies get it and not any of the young cockerels. Today, I let his chicks out for the first time. I watched them scurry behind him, as if they knew that he wouldn't peck at them like some of the hens. He was totally unconcerned with them. Despite his benevolent attitude toward chickens, he is no softy. He's protective right up to that boundary of aggression. A couple weeks ago, my 3 year old daughter had a stick and was chasing the hens. He went after her with a threatening display, and she dropped the stick and came to me screaming. That was the only time. He's also made a threatening display toward an unfamiliar guest. It's all bark and no bite, but boy is he intimidating. It's that same intimidation factor that sends the cats running.
So this was my 6th hatch from various sources, and the chicks that I hatched from Kurt Russell crossed with my BO hens were by far the strongest chicks I've raised. I gave 3 of them to a friend, and she also remarked that they were much stronger than other chicks she's raised.

Here's a pic of Kurt Russell from today

And here's the cutest one of his chicks, Ghostface Killa

My Wyandotte rooster met his chicks when they were about a week old and he just looked at them and then found them some food, I thought he would be a great dad until the fox, but i now have a silver laced Wyandotte that I was thinking of eating but he is too friendly so I have decided to keep him

Speckled Hen,

Here's a pic of some of those chicks. The pullet on the left is "Ghostface Killa"

Although this one turned out to be the prettiest of them IMO. I like the lacing on her chest.

Back
Top Bottom