Do you like roosters?

• Yes

Votes: 106 87.6%
  • They are Ok

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
I am thinking perhaps some nice fried chicken. I know it sounds mean to lots of folks to eat the boys. I grew up with that being where Sunday dinner came from.

I certainly do not make the decision without thought. Right now there are ads everywhere of much nicer males needing homes. He simply would not stand a chance of finding one.

We are actually allowed a rooster here BUT the nuisance ordinance comes into play. That and my neighbor works nights.

My relatives have 2 roosters, a buff orpington and barred rock that are over a year old. Both of them have never been nasty. The buff orpington is friendly but the barred rock is a little skittish.

They sure are! When the buff orpington rooster catches a bug or gets food it will make this special call with his voice then the hens will all come running to him, then he will drop it and the hens will peck at it.

They sure are! When the buff orpington rooster catches a bug or gets food it will make this special call with his voice then the hens will all come running to him, then he will drop it and the hens will peck at it.
Same thing with my Australorp ... he may hate me and all of humanity, but he LOVES those girls. Gives them treats he finds, does a proper mating dance, and corrals hens when they go astray. Even Saw him leap up to try and catch a small predator that swooped down out of the sky ... he didn't catch it, but he sure scared it off!

Any idea why a rooster would suddenly turn on a hen? They have been together for over a year, today he was fighting her and had her bleeding, I took her out of the coop. Looking for suggestions...he has always been quite docile otherwise.
I can stand the rooster attacking me ... if he ever injured one of the hens, he'd be stew

I got an accidental cockerel in my chick order. He is just a kid yet at about 7 weeks old.
We cannot keep him being in town. I am not so sure I would want to either. He is a black Australorp.

I call him Jerkface Jake. He already bows up at the Brahma pullet and has standoffs with the dog through the fence. Yup he is a Jerkface.

We have 3 black australorps that are 6 1/2 weeks old. Would you mind posting a pic of your Jerkface Jake, so I can use it for reference? I think we may have a roo, but then again.. I'm not so sure :confused:

We have 3 black australorps that are 6 1/2 weeks old. Would you mind posting a pic of your Jerkface Jake, so I can use it for reference? I think we may have a roo, but then again.. I'm not so sure :confused:
A good clue with Australorps ... the rooster's tails grow In more slowly than the hens. If your youngin's had no tails for a while, they may just be roosters

Back
Top Bottom