Do you like roosters?

• Yes

Votes: 106 87.6%
  • They are Ok

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Yes, so do I. 6 months ago, I went to this breeder flock to go get my pullets and I saw this adorable hen around near the shed/barn. I went over to try and hold it then a most handsome rooster ran up and jumped in front of it. I love when roosters try to protect the flock!

I got an accidental cockerel in my chick order. He is just a kid yet at about 7 weeks old.
We cannot keep him being in town. I am not so sure I would want to either. He is a black Australorp.

I call him Jerkface Jake. He already bows up at the Brahma pullet and has standoffs with the dog through the fence. Yup he is a Jerkface.
Extra roosters are very, very unwanted (unfortunately!) If you can not adopt him out, and most willing to take him will make a meal out of him. I suggest raising him to about four months old or so and make the meal yourself. Heartbreaking as it may seem, if there is no other solution, it will be an experience.

Yes Mace he is dinner plate bound.
He is a giant pain already so it may be an early soup.

I do miss being in the country where I COULD keep a roo. I had a very good bantam Cochin back then. He was certainly not a Jerkface. We called that one Scooter. Every time I tried to grab him he would scoot under the BA hens and out of reach.

Last edited:
Yes Mace he is dinner plate bound.
He is a giant pain already so it may be an early soup.

I do miss being in the country where I COULD keep as roo. I had a very good bantam Cochin back then. He was certainly not a Jerkface. We called that one Scooter. Every time I tried to grab him he would scoot under the BA hens and out of reach.
If you get him just before fully mature, he'll make a fine broiler or roaster! After he starts crowing, then it is soup time (plus trouble with the township!)

Oddly enough ... we have only a third of an acre here in the heart of suburban NJ ... but for some inexplicable reason, our town allows chickens AND roosters!

Fortunately, mine only crows in the morning. Err ... and the evening. Umm ... and most times in between. No problem though ... the bantam down the street crows in the middle of the night!

Back
Top Bottom