The Saga Begins

What it is, is what it is. Which means it is what it shouldn't be.
But I'd just elevate the humidity as much as possible, quit candling and wait it out. Peek in daily to look for a chick and after another week, if there is no chick, do an eggtopsy.

Well here's a bit of sad news. Today the last egg was smelling a little funny, and looked blurry and unmoving when I candled. I opened up the air cell to find that he had already past away- he looked fully developed, but smelled quite nasty so I'm betting he died of some kind of infection. There was also a lot of pale yellow/clear liquid in with him, so I'm not sure what that was. Here are some eggtopsy pics, I would love to hear your thoughts on what happened to him.
IMG-0255.jpg

IMG-0252.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0252.jpg
    IMG-0252.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm planning to try again as soon as I can get some more eggs! I'll try with six this time, so some have a better chance at making it. Can anyone recommend a reliable hygrometer? I want to make sure everything goes well this time around.

I'm planning to try again as soon as I can get some more eggs! I'll try with six this time, so some have a better chance at making it. Can anyone recommend a reliable hygrometer? I want to make sure everything goes well this time around.
Your first move should be a reliable thermometer. That is the key to incubation.

A hilariously unlikely to succeed hatching project. A home-made incubator with no real thermometer.

Well, here are my thoughts:

Sorry he didn't make it, but as you already stated in your first post it was very unlikely considering the circumstances (no real incubator, no thermometer etc.)

If you want to make sure that everything goes well the next time I strongly advise to purchase a real incubator with real thermometers. There is always good second hand equipment available at moderate prices in case you do not want to spent on a new one.

I understand the thrill of experimentation, but please take into consideration that this is at the cost of an animate being.

Ok! Attempt two is ready! I took your advice and got an accurate thermometer/hydrometer and did a lot more research to try and increase my chances of a good hatch. Unfortunately, there's a catch. The person we bought the eggs from gave us eggs that were already partially developed, and some looked pretty dead. I originally planned to incubate 6 eggs max, but since we can't eat the others anyway and I don't know how many are even viable, I decided to stick them all in the incubator. They're packed in there quite tightly, seventeen in all, and I find myself a little doubtful once again. The eggs were completely room temp when we received them, and looked to be all in different stages of development spread out through the first week. Do you think they'll hatch? My setup is much better this time but the eggs don't look so good.
Ahhhh What have I gotten myself into?! :barnie

Well, all the research and even a new thermometer won't help to successfully incubate rotten or otherwise unviable eggs.

Why don't you get some fresh good quality eggs to enhance the chances?

Well, all the research and even a new thermometer won't help to successfully incubate rotten or otherwise unviable eggs.

Why don't you get some fresh good quality eggs to enhance the chances?
I am not sure whether or not the eggs are viable, and I have nothing to lose by incubating them. I want to give them a chance, and if I can't see any development after about a week I'll toss the eggs and try to get some new ones. If these don't make it, I might order some from a breeder to be sure of the quality. Since there are quite a few eggs, I think there is a reasonable chance that some are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom