The SBEL thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FVRM, Apr 10, 2014.

1. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Where are your sbels coming from?

2. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    Thanks,I hope they hatch crossing my fingers!

3. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    This is my only SBEL. I bought a large assortment of random purebred eggs. Included was one white egg from a lone leghorn that the breeder had in with her ameraucanas. Luckily, the egg hatched and it was a pullet. She's 17 weeks old now. I'm anxiously waiting for them to start laying. I'm curious how much of a difference in egg color there will be between hers and the others. She makes me want to get a leghorn or two to put in with my Easter eggers. :)

Silver Ameraucana rooster over white leghorn hen.

[​IMG]

4. FVRM

wow that's so lucky! a pretty pullet. please post a photo of her first egg

5. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Here are my eggs from today! I am guessing that this is my SBEL pullet's first egg, front and center. To the right of it is one of my ameraucana eggs. The two green ones are from my Easter eggers. It's a really pretty color!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know this is late, but how about starting with silver Leghorns? Nothing says you have to start with white. I crossed brown Leghorns and Easter eggers years and years ago and got birds that laid huge light blue eggs. Those hens were the foundation of my backyard flock, I hatched tons of their eggs.

7. FVRM

wow they ARE bluer! [​IMG]

8. FVRM

if you can post some photos of them that would be awesome! I really want to know how they look farther down the line

9. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have prefered to start with brown leghorn and silver Ameraucana, but both are almost impossible to find. I set eggs from white legs and a black Amer cock. I have ordered silver Ameraucana chicks for the spring that I will breed to any pullets I get from these...

10. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

hope I get some that nice! I like that color better than the lighter blue that I expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by