The Sizzle Thread!

Are sizzles like frazzles? NO Sizzles have very soft lightly windswept frizzled feathers. In my opinion the sizzles have much better feather quality than most frizzles. My experience with frizzles has been brittle tightly curled feathers that are not very soft or fun to pet.

They are very cute I am sure with a little rehab they will look great. I have a hen that kind of looks like these guys right now and it is because the little roo pulls off the head and neck feathers while he is trying to hold on to them.

Hi every one
frow.gif
, i wanted to chime in and clear a few questions up.

some one asked about fizzled silkies and how they happen.
yes they can happen from breeding to often to silkies. the silkie feathering is a recessive trait and could and should be breed out of sizzles eventually. the problem is to improve type most people choose to breed back to silkie a bit more often then maybe they should at least in my imo. that being said a quality smooth (non frizzled feathered) sizzle is worth its weight in gold in a good sizzle breeding plan. but even breeding a sizzle to a sizzle (with no silkie feathering) in the mix you still have a chance of hatching out silkie feathered birds. to be safe when hatching chicks from a sizzle project expect chicks with four different feather types.
frizzled silkie,
silkies,
frizzled sizzles,
and smooth sizzles.

then there is the question of frazzled or double frizzled birds.
first when breeding two frizzled bird together you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a frazzled birds. you will also get a 1 in four chance of a smooth and a about half should be regular frizzled.
frazzled birds will have a double dose of the frizzle gene. this effects only the feathers of the birds making them very brittle and easily damaged. and yes damaged feathers can be painful to the bird!!! but still the biggest concern with frazzles are the in ability to protect themselves from the harsh sun in the summer and the cold of winters. and you should never breed frizzle to frizzle. for the chance of getting a bird like this.
here is noodles my double frizzled (frazzle) cochin. so you know what they will look like. note how tight her curls are.

While I was at a show yesterday, I checked out the bantam Cochins and the Sizzles (they were same size as my Silkies. But wow- there is something wrong with these that I bought. They are the size of Seramas. I'm not kidding. Like 1/8 the size of a bantam cochin.
sad.png
I think when the feather out more, I will find a new home for them. My Silkie boys are too big for them. I'll keep an eye out for more later!

Sizzles should be the same size as silkies. Some lines of silkies are larger/smaller than others, and some lines mature more slowly.

My Silkies are on the small side, and HUGE compared to these. Something went wrong in their growing process or something? I'll have to take some pics next to a Coke can or something for reference. You would not believe it!

Back
Top Bottom