The Sizzle Thread!

Ok. I have a dumb question. Let me know if I'm getting this wrong along the way.

A frizzle can be any breed.

A sizzle IS a frizzle silkie...and therfore a frizzle.

Frizzle/frizzle is bad (brittle feathers, loss of feathers, susceptible to illness and sometimes shorter lifespan...bad).

So...A sizzle, being a frizzle, paired with another sizzle...is bad (double frizzle gene?) Or am I way off?

Trying to help a friend who wants to breed them, and I only know bits and pieces of the genetics thing.

There can be a Frizzled version of any breed.
A sizzle is a Frizzled something bred to a Silkie.
There can be Frizzled OR smooth Sizzles.
Frizzle to frizzle IS bad
I can breed a smooth sizzle to a Frizzled sizzle though
Your friend is trying to create birds that look like silkies, with the Silkie body shape, 5 toes, dark skin, & the Silkie comb BUT that has regular feathers instead of Silkie feathers. Those regular feather can be Frizzled or smooth though.
Make sense?

Your friend is trying to create birds that look like silkies, with the Silkie body shape, 5 toes, dark skin, & the Silkie comb BUT that has regular feathers instead of Silkie feathers. Those regular feather can be Frizzled or smooth though.
Make sense?

#1 This is a Frizzled Sizzle

#2 This is a smooth sizzle

These are both 1st generation birds, so neither is yet quite what I am looking for. #1 still has the Cochin body shape. #2 has the correct shape, an 5 toes, but does not have the correct skin color or comb type. I will breed them together to hopefully get some that have everything correct.

You should breed them to Silkies to improve type, if you have Silkies. Mixing them with Silkies will give you smooths (still Sizzles, but normal feathered, no frizzle), Sizzles (normal feathered frizzles), frizzled Silkies (shredded feathers and frizzled) and regular Silkies.

They're cute, enjoy them :)

#1 This is a Frizzled Sizzle

#2 This is a smooth sizzle

These are both 1st generation birds, so neither is yet quite what I am looking for. #1 still has the Cochin body shape. #2 has the correct shape, an 5 toes, but does not have the correct skin color or comb type. I will breed them together to hopefully get some that have everything correct.

You should definitely breed them back to silkie if you're looking to get sizzles/frizzled silkie. And I hear 2nd generation birds are often more disappointing than 1st as far as looking like silkies goes but they will get better. It's no easy adventure but very rewarding!

Make sense?

Yes...Thank you so much. I think when it breaks down into sizzle and silkie crossed is what was confusing me. I couldn't wrap my head around what a smooth feathered silkie would look like, or what non barbed feathers curling would look like. Thank you for the pics too :D

You should breed them to Silkies to improve type, if you have Silkies. Mixing them with Silkies will give you smooths (still Sizzles, but normal feathered, no frizzle), Sizzles (normal feathered frizzles), frizzled Silkies (shredded feathers and frizzled) and regular Silkies.

They're cute, enjoy them :)

U think I should breed my smooth boy back to Silkie? I thought he has pretty good body type? I'm totally new to this, so I'm not saying u r wrong at all, just learning. The Grey Frizzled pullet DEF needs better body type!! Lol

You should definitely breed them back to silkie if you're looking to get sizzles/frizzled silkie. And I hear 2nd generation birds are often more disappointing than 1st as far as looking like silkies goes but they will get better. It's no easy adventure but very rewarding!

If they didn't take SOOOO long to mature, it wouldn't be so frustrating! Lol Seems like forever at least! Speaking of, how old should I start separating my Frizzle pullets away from my Frizzled rooster???

I have bred a splash silkie with this smooth sizzle rooster... what colors will I get? Will they all be grey? What are the percentages of curly feathers vs smooth vs silkie type? I've read on the genetic page but it is hard to totally understand! Thank you!

1 Critter Camp, if you breed your smooth rooster to a Silkie, you will get smooth offspring with barbed feathers and Silkies with shredded feathers. They will be smooth because he is not frizzled. If you have a frizzled Silkie, that would be a great way to introduce the frizzle gene without taking a step backwards type wise. Your rooster looks blue, if that's the case, paired with a splash you will get blue and splash chicks. If he is black, all chicks will be blue.

As for breeding back to Silkies, its to improve your Sizzles type. Google pictures of show quality Silkies or Sizzles that someone has been working on for a long time. Their type is what you are aiming for (the Silkie hen in my avatar is a pretty good example of decent type). Sonderah, its really difficult to judge type by internet photos. But, when we look at them, we're judging by what we can see. Your birds both have pretty small crests (mine aren't much better at this point in my project) and your rooster has light skin. You want large cushions (tails), fully feathered feet, correct amount of toes and dark skin with no pigment holes.
Good luck ;)

Back
Top Bottom