The Smithies, the $5 "Ayam Cemani" black meat bird

Just to pay respect to the Ayam Cemani breeders that spend a lot of time perfecting their lines, I think it would be a good idea if the breed is only referred to as the Smithies without the Ayam Cemani attached.  Or if people prefer, we can refer to them as the "Smithsonian Line".   The chicks should never have been sold as pure Ayam Cemani as they are not and never will be.  But they are the basis for a good, low-cost black meat bird.

I need a name for this little Smithie cockerel.  Any suggestions?

And in 50 years they'll be selling for the equivalent of 10 grand a pair! Or will it be 10 years and 50 grand?

You need more than one pair to get this started. Does
anyone else have birds from the same source? How about mixing in the 'Ayam Cemani hybrid' that someone is selling on ebay?
I have a small flock of EEs and Ameraucanas and have been looking for a project bird. Your Smithies sound interesting and just what I was looking for.

I would certainly like some smithies, to use as meat bird projects. But after I get your svart honas and kierstens ac's (which I suspect might actually be the same line as these, as she had mentioned hers came from new york), which means, it looks like I'm going to have to end up getting my ac from you too DCchicken.

7 more months huh? That seems very reasonable, then I can not worry about things too much. Heck @ $5 straight run chicks, put me in for 20 of them. As I intend to use them as meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom