The Snare and how it works

add enough camo effect from the surrounding vegetation on both sides of the coon snare ,but leave the snare one fist heigth up to be proper neck heigth on a coon ,11 inchs for Coyotes.

Set snares on known coon paths at a heigth of one FIST high ,a coon always travels the same pathways they will pack them down with Tracks, Snares are effective and are usible in most States check all laws ,and be mindfull of others and theyre opinions and be safe and study before taking to the woods with trapping equipment,most of the time we can protect our flocks without help from others as long as we study our qaurry and make ourselves accustomed with our equipment.

Good post.
Some other notes:

As noted, state regulations on traps & snares very widely. Here in Alabama we cant use snares outside of waterbodies. So they are stricty for beaver and otters.
Season, license and permit requirement vary. But normally depredation permits allow trapping all year.
Some states require a trapping course before you can use foothold, conibears or snares.
If in doubt, call your local State game/wildlife commission office. Federal USFWS office only regulate migratory birds, raptors and threatened/endangered species. If you call the USFWS they will just give you the local State office number.

Too bad snares aren't legal here in Missouri without a permit and classes, I have always wanted to try share trapping
If snares were legal in Missouri your Coyote population would be knocked down drastically ,I only trap winter months here and can take 20 on 200 acres ,the landowners couldnt fathom the amount running on their cattle farm.

The Coyotes are masters of not being seen ,Id say most of us wouldn't see fowl taken by them .,coon are the real nemesis of the poultry producer the coon can grasp ,climb ,and pull chicken s right off the roost and straight through the wire.

I was raised on a commercial chicken farm in the absolute middle of nowhere. With all the dog's we had then and all the dog's I have now they simply aren't an issue .. like I said I used to hear them every night and now that I'm sitting here thinking about it I can't remember the last time I heard a pack running around yipping, it's been several months that's for sure. there have been a couple black bears spotted in the area, makes me wonder if they have anything to do with it

I have only ever had a predator issue once, it was a raccoon and was gone the second time it tried to pull one over on me, fool me once....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom