The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm really surprised I'm this wide awake. Usually when I get up it takes me a good 2 hours before I can do anything at all.

Today we're going to Tompkins Center to the Freedom Festival. I have been waiting for this since last year when we went. It has a craft show, car show and old steam engine tractors!! There's supposed to be a tractor pull too! I'm like a little kid with these kinds of shows I get so excited!! It's going to be a perfect day for it too!

Oh, and I might get to see my grandson again too
celebrate.gif

Hope everyone has a great day. Who knows, I might have some cool photos tonight too!
wink.png

Morning ladies! Its a beautiful day outside, and baby-zilla is in a good mood.

ok so wife and I did a test to see what veggies the chickens liked. Fresh corn goes first they love it. They even squirt each other with the juices. Broccoli seems to be the #2 fav. and they wont eat peas unless there is nothing else to eat. They dont care for strawberries, wont go near carrots, and seem to have more interest in throwing spinach around then eating it.

lol, they might seem to be throwing it, but they are ripping bite sized pieces from it. Lol. Mine love it, make such a mess of it before eating it up. Ducks go nuts for it. Did you try peas again yet? Mush them just a little...

Mine like the broccoli leaves better than the actual broccoli. I throw the stalks in after harvesting the broccoli for myself; Last year i put about 6 inches of leaves in my coop for the winter and threw in the old stalks, dirt and all and they got pushed around and buried, they were still digging for goodies 2 mo later!

They eat strawberries but seem to prefer blackberries. I think it's a primal instinct NOT to eat red; I have a few who have been convinced by me that the red is OK, and they beeline for me as soon as i start rustling around in the leaves. (I planted alpine strawberries, which put out a berry now and then all through the growing season) Grapes seem to fall in the same category of eatables as grapes, mine particulary love the wild ones i have near me, which must be "river grapes" because they are actually pretty good tasting if you can get past the boogery center.

I have convinced them to eat watermelon also, the roosters especially seem to love the watermelon.

They are disgusted by lettuce; but love cabbage. If you get the purple ones, be prepared for some funky green turds! Scared me at first, till i figured it out. Don't feed funky cabbage though, spoiled cabbage carries the most potent form of botulism!!! (I was buying the ones they salvaged at the store by cutting off the spoiled parts and selling discount, until i found this out!)

My secret weapon is bananas. They see yellow! At first they aren't sure, but once the bird is hooked on them they will do drastic things to get them. Mine being the fussy butts that they are MUST have the exact stage between slightly green and ripe, they will neither eat the green nor the ripe ones.
roll.png

I feed them all the extra garden produce, sliced cukes, pumpkin, beet leaves, tomatoes, corn that's a little too ripe.............. They eat the pumpkin, but not until fall. They seem to eat it on account of it giving them something they need for the cold weather, but not exactly excited as they would be if it was something that TASTED good to them. Pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds are considered a treat, however.

eta that strawBERRIES and strawberry PLANTS are two different things......they will do drastic things to eat the plants!!! Nova can attest to this one . I keep mine fenced off.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I have to go get something done. Been lazing about (well, doing research, but ya)

Don't know why it says i'm offline? I am here, but not for long. Does this mean i slipped into ninja mode?

So... All of my showgirls have streamers... All are roos
Who wants a free showgirl roo? I got 2 white and 1 black!!! 23 weeks!!!
SE MI

This one was suspected to a hen, but it has streamers and crows...
LL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom