**The State killed all my friends birds!!**

I was informed on Saturday by a Missouri NPIP tester and representative that he has never found any diseases in small backyard flocks that would justify eradication of a flock. They have however found avain flu concentrations in the large hatchery houses ran by large corporations. He explained that they test for concentrations not the actual disease. They do find low concentration numbers but these have little to no value.

I took 6 roos to auction on Saturday and the MO state agriculture dept. was there testing the birds. I overheard him telling some gentlemen about how nice these one set of birds were and I got all giddy because they were mine, lol. We got to talking and he explained to me all he does, how he does it, that sort of thing. It was actually quite informative. He also gave me a book on their testing and what not.

Quote:
That would be like saying all chicken people are liars, don't ya think? You must understand that if there is an outbreak of newcastle disease or AI it could decimate alot of poultry. Not only that it can be spread by any type of bird, not just poultry. Parrots, canaries, budgies and wild birds as well. We don't know all the information about his flocks. We don't all take the same precautions to avoid disease.
I recently visited my sister in laws place. She's watering her birds out of open buckets in the yard. Criminy! mosquitoes can spread disease. It was a wet day and the place was a mud hole.
Disease can spread like a house a fire. I ain't going there again and I wouldn't buy any birds or eggs from her.
hmm.png

This is an example of taking sentences out of context.. Now you have me saying chicken people are liars. I am just tring to keep poultry people with there flocks, What you just described about your sisters place is exactly what the deep south is all about I live 2 miles from the honey Island swamp. Not counting all the marsh land and other swamp areas in the whole south. Go to Jerry's Seramas look at the beautiful pictures of swamp land surround is home and flock. So what you just said is you won't buy a bird from a breeder who lives near a swamp or better yet anyone who lives in the south must have diseases. Do you even know what an immune system is!!!

As a matter of fact I do know what an immune system is. I also know how to spell trying and which "their" to use. I also know the difference between a mud hole and a swamp. I also am a patriot and do not believe our government "is a bunch of liars". I also know that if you are unhappy with our government you don't have to stay here, Bubba! God Bless America (and that doesn't mean I don't want God to Bless anywhere else!)

Last edited:
Quote:
That would be like saying all chicken people are liars, don't ya think? You must understand that if there is an outbreak of newcastle disease or AI it could decimate alot of poultry. Not only that it can be spread by any type of bird, not just poultry. Parrots, canaries, budgies and wild birds as well. We don't know all the information about his flocks. We don't all take the same precautions to avoid disease.
I recently visited my sister in laws place. She's watering her birds out of open buckets in the yard. Criminy! mosquitoes can spread disease. It was a wet day and the place was a mud hole.
Disease can spread like a house a fire. I ain't going there again and I wouldn't buy any birds or eggs from her.
hmm.png

This is an example of taking sentences out of context.. Now you have me saying chicken people are liars. I am just tring to keep poultry people with there flocks, What you just described about your sisters place is exactly what the deep south is all about I live 2 miles from the honey Island swamp. Not counting all the marsh land and other swamp areas in the whole south. Go to Jerry's Seramas look at the beautiful pictures of swamp land surround is home and flock. So what you just said is you won't buy a bird from a breeder who lives near a swamp or better yet anyone who lives in the south must have diseases. Do you even know what an immune system is!!!

I live in Mass in front of a cedar swamp, we have big mosquitos in the north too. And I have to have open water or my ducks would be very sad.
No license for me, you don't get on my property without a warrant and even then Im with Cetawin

Quote:

As a matter of fact I do know what an immune system is. I also know how to spell trying and which "their" to use. I also know the difference between a mud hole and a swamp. I also am a patriot and do not believe our government "is a bunch of liars". I also know that if you are unhappy with our government you don't have to stay here, Bubba! God Bless America (and that doesn't mean I don't want God to Bless anywhere else!)

What happened to taken action to saving our Country. As we speak they are removing GOD.

Please keep the sniping at each other out of this discussion or we'll be closing this thread down. Fair warning. There is some new information here for people in the states mentioned here, so I'd like to keep it open.

That said, I want to add that I would be a responsible owner and take care of my own flock issues, i.e, euthanizing birds and disinfecting the area and coops and the gov't doesn't have to be a part of it. I am not NPIP nor do I plan to be at this time and I am vehemently opposed to NAIS, just for the record. If everyone was responsible and practiced good biosecurity, as well as ethical behavior when selling birds, we wouldn't have these issues. If you don't want the gov't involved, then take care of business yourself and do not tolerate communicable disease in your own flock. Don't treat with antibiotics over and over and keep birds with compromised immune systems. Cull the ones who show respiratory symptoms. Take full adult responsibility for your flock's health and maybe we won't have the gov't so much in our backyard chicken business.

Back
Top Bottom