The Suedenator Is Aging...Suede & His Girls (pics)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Posting some pics of big Suede and his three girls for those of you who are very familiar with him. Just wanted to show that the Suedenator is still kicking! Old Suede is 4 1/2 years old now. Meg, my big RIR/Buff Orp cross is the same age. Dusty and Smoky (last pic) are probably almost 4 now themselves, would have to check their ages. Dusty recently almost dubbed her own comb on the fence and now looks like she's wearing a beret.
roll.png
As someone I know says, Suede's women are just defective, LOL.

Suede gets very brassy as he approaches his molt, as you can see in this pic. The new feathers are always beautiful blue again, then gradually turn goldish since he spends every day outside in the sunshine. This big old 14 lb. marshmallow is such a love, my big blue turkey, never has bitten or flogged anyone, not a mean bone in his body, sweetest thing there is, would starve in order to feed his selfish, piggish women. Suede is one of the earlier blue Orps from Bama Chicken's Sandhill stock, out of her Blue Boy, if any of you remember him (Suede and Blue Boy could be twins), so not what most folks want these days in the way of the BBS Orps, but I would not trade this boy for anything. He hatched here, out of the very first eggs to hatch in my brand new Hovabator that my DH bought me for a birthday present back in 2006. He's my buddy. You can have Dusty and Smoky, weird women, both of them, but you can't take my Suede, no sirree. 99% of the time, his sons turn out to be just as calm and even-tempered as their big daddy is and to me, that matters a great deal. No mean roosters get to stay here; that's a deal-breaker, don't care how perfect they are in looks.

DSCN2400.jpg

DSCN2401.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

Suede and his women get to free range on occasion, but this group doesn't go very far, not like the main flock with my Delaware rooster does. Still, Suede grew up roaming with whatever group he was with at the time and has managed to keep himself and his hens safe for all these years.

I loved to watch him grow up, big and beautiful and now he is aging gracefully! I dont think it is unusual for Blues to be "brassy" when they get older.

Has he gotten slower?

love.gif
. The Suedenator...my boy.
love.gif
. Those women are defective and he is perfect. Give him a hug and tell him LadyHawk is fixing him a blueberry care package.

Last edited:
Well, he's really not skipped a beat, Robin. He's seen changing of the guard in the main flock a few times and is still here. I love that I can go out and yell his name and he comes thundering in from wherever he is. I can almost feel the ground shake, LOL. He'll trot alongside me wherever I go on the property, though he doesn't care to go far into the woods like Isaac will. He's just a good old boy. Fertility is sketchy in that coop, but Cetawin has some of Meg's eggs in her incubator right now, so he's still got it in that department--he just has problems catching those women sometimes, I guess. He's not an aggressive breeder, but then, he never really has been.

LH, that boy sure does love his blueberries! We have a pretty good crop growing on our bushes out there so he has first dibs on the very first muffins or pancakes this season.

Back
Top Bottom