the sultan thread

I have a happy Sultan family of 2 hens & a rooster and they're very much "in love" - We're planning on hatching this spring for the Easter Egg hatchalong event, but have never tried to incubate our eggs before so not even sure whether they're fertile. I see the little "bulls eye" on the yolks when we crack them open, but nothing very convincing (we put them in the 'fridge as soon as they're laid, so maybe the bulls eye just never progresses?) So can't guarantee you'll successfully hatch little Sultans from our eggs, but it would be fun to try.

Anyway, if someone knows the key to safe egg shipping, I'd be happy to send you some & see what happens :)

If anyone can tell me how to ship eggs (can I just put them in an egg container & pack the box with lots of bubble wrap?) please let me know.

It would be fun to see if Cupcake, CreamPuff and Mavis can have relatives out west so we can come visit escape the cold some winter (jk ;) )

yippiechickie.gif

I have a happy Sultan family of 2 hens & a rooster and they're very much "in love" - We're planning on hatching this spring for the Easter Egg hatchalong event, but have never tried to incubate our eggs before so not even sure whether they're fertile. I see the little "bulls eye" on the yolks when we crack them open, but nothing very convincing (we put them in the 'fridge as soon as they're laid, so maybe the bulls eye just never progresses?) So can't guarantee you'll successfully hatch little Sultans from our eggs, but it would be fun to try.

Anyway, if someone knows the key to safe egg shipping, I'd be happy to send you some & see what happens :)

If anyone can tell me how to ship eggs (can I just put them in an egg container & pack the box with lots of bubble wrap?) please let me know.

It would be fun to see if Cupcake, CreamPuff and Mavis can have relatives out west so we can come visit escape the cold some winter (jk ;) )

yippiechickie.gif

I think you can't put them in the fridge or else any life of the egg will die, or am I wrong? I don't know, I'm no expert, of course. But I believe if you want the eggs to survive you CAN'T have them in the fridge, they have to quickly be put in a incubator or under a hen. (Does a heat lamp work?)
Also, this guy who has expeiriance with shipping I'm sure, he said that you get a normal egg carton, put the eggs in, stuff the egg carton with wood shavings (like really soft) and then close it, rap it in bubble rap (I think twice...?) and then fill the box with some kind of filler and then mark the box as "FRAGILE".

Last edited:
Sorry! I wasn't very clear on my first post - we haven't been setting our eggs to prepare them for incubation yet, but put them in the refrigerator for eating! If they're fertile, we don't want them to start developing, so we refrigerate them right away. We'll start the setting process in a couple weeks so they can start incubation for Easter, which involves keeping them at ~50deg & correct humidity for up to a week so we can start around 6 eggs (we get 1-2/day, so will just need 3-4 days to get our eggs ready for incubation.) We'd set eggs prior to shipping, if the person who was interested in Sultan hatching eggs would like to try ours. We just can't guarantee they'll be fertile or hatch, as we haven't checked the eggs w/o refrigeration to see whether there's a fertile-appearing bulls eye.

I hope that made a little more sense!
D.gif
It would be fun if Cupcake, Mavis & CreamPuff could have youngsters across the country!

Sorry! I wasn't very clear on my first post - we haven't been setting our eggs to prepare them for incubation yet, but put them in the refrigerator for eating! If they're fertile, we don't want them to start developing, so we refrigerate them right away. We'll start the setting process in a couple weeks so they can start incubation for Easter, which involves keeping them at ~50deg & correct humidity for up to a week so we can start around 6 eggs (we get 1-2/day, so will just need 3-4 days to get our eggs ready for incubation.) We'd set eggs prior to shipping, if the person who was interested in Sultan hatching eggs would like to try ours. We just can't guarantee they'll be fertile or hatch, as we haven't checked the eggs w/o refrigeration to see whether there's a fertile-appearing bulls eye.

I hope that made a little more sense!
D.gif
It would be fun if Cupcake, Mavis & CreamPuff could have youngsters across the country!

I just put the two selected chickens in a private place, and they'll usually breed everyday and for the first few eggs I take those away so they'll breed and have garenteed fertile eggs ;)

I just put the two selected chickens in a private place, and they'll usually breed everyday and for the first few eggs I take those away so they'll breed and have garenteed fertile eggs ;)

I hope you get some that hatch. I will be getting some more day Olds in may. Can't wait. Glad to see all 3 sultans have found the perfect home. Thanks for posting. Was wondering how they were doing. Lynn

Back
Top Bottom