the sultan thread

Hi, Lynn!
So good to hear from you! I was heartbroken to lose one of the 3 we got from you - the smaller rooster, who my grand daughter named "Frosting", succumbed to coccidiosis. Everything was great until we had several days of rain and their outside pen (connected to the inside pen) got damp and I learned too late that the protozoa thrive on damp ground. He was the only one who got sick - happened all at once & he passed the same day even after a fast trip to the vet - apparently coccidiosis mainly affects young chickens. I learned a lot from the BYC site and since then, with modifications to the coop & their diet, we've been doing great.

The other rooster, who my grand daughter named "Cupcake" and the little hen, "CreamPuff" are healthy & happy and so much fun. They get along great with Mavis and my two girls give us eggs daily :) Cupcake is plenty amorous, so we are very hopeful we'll have some little ones for Easter! As typical for Sultans, the hens are not broody, so we'll be using an incubator.

So as not to deal with winter stuff too much, we bought a Fleet Farm coop & modified it a little, keep it in our insulated & heated garage and the 3 are pretty spoiled (plus it's a whole lot easier to take care of them in there than trudge out to their outdoor coop!)

Here's a pic of Cupcake & CreamPuff. They're awesome, we love them & so glad we found you!!
Happy spring... after we get past this next cold blast...

Teri, Gary, Cupcake, CreamPuff & Mavis

*When I see someone else's sultans* Aw those sultans look so much prettier and not really fat like min...e...."

So glad they doing good now. If you don't get any hatched Let me know I am getting 15 more sultan chicks. Hope they all survive.I thine my flock out sold more roosters. And our ducks hatched 4. Right before christmas. Had to bring the little ones in the house. Put them out last week with Mr and Mrs mallard and they are all together now as one happy family. They have 1 side of coop and the chickens on the other side.

So glad they doing good now. If you don't get any hatched Let me know I am getting 15 more sultan chicks. Hope they all survive.I thine my flock out sold more roosters. And our ducks hatched 4. Right before christmas. Had to bring the little ones in the house. Put them out last week with Mr and Mrs mallard and they are all together now as one happy family. They have 1 side of coop and the chickens on the other side.

Aw....:(

I think they'll hatch some, but right now I just need lots of eggs.

They're so precious and each has his/her own special personality and love being held & talked to. I'm so grateful to have discovered this extraordinary bird. And breakfast is great :)

They're so precious and each has his/her own special personality and love being held & talked to. I'm so grateful to have discovered this extraordinary bird. And breakfast is great :)

They are wonderful. My hen is fat, lazy, prissy, and LOVES to just cuddle on my lap:). At first I thought you meant you butchered and ate them XD

I had mallards years ago when my kids were little - they're great & good parents! And the little duckies would peep peep peep!!
I'll be in touch if we don't get any chicks hatched this year - we'll be expanding our coop & would like to have more Sultans :) I never imagined a chicken could be so personable. I cleaned the caked in dust from their nostrils today & they were so good. Looking forward to Fair time - just the 2 from your place, as Mavis must've had frost bite on her toes before we got her & her feet aren't perfect -

I had mallards years ago when my kids were little - they're great & good parents! And the little duckies would peep peep peep!!
I'll be in touch if we don't get any chicks hatched this year - we'll be expanding our coop & would like to have more Sultans :) I never imagined a chicken could be so personable. I cleaned the caked in dust from their nostrils today & they were so good. Looking forward to Fair time - just the 2 from your place, as Mavis must've had frost bite on her toes before we got her & her feet aren't perfect -

Cool!:) I can't garantee any chicks, though, I'm sorry:(.

I want to show Cleopatra, her pet name is Cleopatty:). But I have no idea how to sign up! I need to ask my sister for help, she's shown rabbits before.

oh, no!!! Just the eggs! I don't even like to eat chicken anymore... mine will live in luxury as long as their natural lives allow :)
And isn't it wonderful that your hen loves to be held? Does she "talk"? I find it so funny how each of mine has a unique voice & ways of conversing.

oh, no!!! Just the eggs! I don't even like to eat chicken anymore... mine will live in luxury as long as their natural lives allow :)
And isn't it wonderful that your hen loves to be held? Does she "talk"? I find it so funny how each of mine has a unique voice & ways of conversing.

Me too, I wish I could bring them inside
love.gif

I guess so, it's like high pitched balking, it's really cute and she only does it when I hold her or she's on me:).

Back
Top Bottom