The Sussex thread!

I am so upset! One of our dogs mnaged to escape a six foot tall chain link enclosure, jump the chicken fence and kill all of my sussex hens and my barred rock hen. The only ones to survive were my easter egger hen, the sussex roo, and the easter egger roo. Now we start all over again in a few months wuth buying day old chicks and waiting months for them to start laying. Ugg!! Just needed to vent.

I am so upset! One of our dogs mnaged to escape a six foot tall chain link enclosure, jump the chicken fence and kill all of my sussex hens and my barred rock hen. The only ones to survive were my easter egger hen, the sussex roo, and the easter egger roo. Now we start all over again in a few months wuth buying day old chicks and waiting months for them to start laying. Ugg!! Just needed to vent.
Oh no. What a tragedy! What color Sussex did you lose?
Can you tarp the top of either run? How big are the runs?
Sorrowfully,
Karen and the Light Sussex in Ligonier, PA

Last edited:
Sorry about your loss ! I know the frustration and sadness .... you spend so much time prepping them ....all the care and time.

Wow that must have been terrible! Sorry for your loss.

Are eggs that have been sitting on our counter for about a week okay to hatch? House temperature is 70-72 during the day and 65-68 at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom