The Sussex thread!

I am new to this breed, but already love them. I have 2 pullets who are approximately 20 weeks old; Margaret T. Hatcher and Eggatha Christie. These have GOT to be the friendliest birds I've ever had, bar none. I have some who come running to me hoping I'll have treats, but I haven't been giving treats to this group and they run up to me every time I walk out in the yard, just chatting and squawking up a storm. Last week, both came to the porch door, asking to come in; Eggatha followed me to the mail box at the top of the driveway; and Margaret started to follow my neighbor home. Plus, Margaret comes to tell me when it's time for me to feed them. I've never seen anything like it.

Are all SS like this, or did I just get lucky? Their socializing began when they started to mature. Margaret has been laying for 2 weeks, now.

Last edited:
I am new to this breed, but already love them. I have 2 pullets who are approximately 20 weeks old; Margaret T. Hatcher and Eggatha Christie. These have GOT to be the friendliest birds I've ever had, bar none. I have some who come running to me hoping I'll have treats, but I haven't been giving treats to this group and they run up to me every time I walk out in the yard, just chatting and squawking up a storm. Last week, both came to the porch door, asking to come in; Eggatha followed me to the mail box at the top of the driveway; and Margaret started to follow my neighbor home. Plus, Margaret comes to tell me when it's time for me to feed them. I've never seen anything like it.

Are all SS like this, or did I just get lucky? Their socializing began when they started to mature. Margaret has been laying for 2 weeks, now.

My SS is named Agatha, after Agatha Christie - because she was such a good investigator as a chick! She still is - curious, quick, and independent. It's funny that you saw the same things in yours!

My Agatha doesn't seem quite as friendly as yours - she's very docile and easy to pick up, she'll follow me until it's clear that I don't have treats, and she would rather sit next to me than in my lap like my Rocks do. She is the BEST forager of my girls; she's fast enough to catch beetles, and she hops into our compost tumbler to snatch all the buggies out of there, too.

I really love her (and am still anticipating seeing her tail grow - she's 12 weeks old and has almost no tail to speak of), and I would be completely satisfied with a whole flock of Susssexes. Sussexi?

When my SS was a baby she was very flighty and didn't like people at all. One day, she decided people were great and now she is super friendly. Now when I'm in the yard she is usually right next to me or leaning against my leg. She's 19 weeks and we're still waiting on an egg. She was the smallest pullet and the last one of feather out, so I'm assuming she could be the last to lay as well.

I love my SS. They are about 16 weeks. They are so friendly and curious. The funniest was when they lined up behind our cat who was stalking something. He thinks he's a mighty hunter so it was particulary funny to see the girls curious what he was doing. I'm sure he was saying ....
barnie.gif

My boy, Pox. Is it common for Sussex roosters to become a little aggressive? He is about 1.5yrs. He doeen't attack us with his feet, But he will charge after us...we live on 5 acres and its at a point where I am scared to walk our land without a broom for protection. We are hatching out eggs and we are tempted to just replace him if we get a rooster out of the batch.

When my SS was a baby she was very flighty and didn't like people at all. One day, she decided people were great and now she is super friendly. Now when I'm in the yard she is usually right next to me or leaning against my leg. She's 19 weeks and we're still waiting on an egg. She was the smallest pullet and the last one of feather out, so I'm assuming she could be the last to lay as well.

We should warn all new Sussex parents that they are slow to mature. I was really worried about Agatha until I saw SO MANY posts about how much longer it takes these guys to get big and feather out.... and probably lay eggs.

My boy, Pox. Is it common for Sussex roosters to become a little aggressive? He is about 1.5yrs. He doeen't attack us with his feet, But he will charge after us...we live on 5 acres and its at a point where I am scared to walk our land without a broom for protection. We are hatching out eggs and we are tempted to just replace him if we get a rooster out of the batch.
I have a 8 month old Speckled Sussex rooster is agressive with me, but all my wife or I have to do is holler at him or give a gentle kick and he turns tail. What's the worst he can do? The only time I get angry with him is when he gets aggressive with the hens or the Black Star rooster. I catch him and put him in solitary confinement for 8 hours or more when he really annoys me. I read here in another thread that you should pin an aggressive roo to the ground firmly from behind and then pinch the back of their neck lightly for a minute to establish dominance.

Last edited:
We should warn all new Sussex parents that they are slow to mature. I was really worried about Agatha until I saw SO MANY posts about how much longer it takes these guys to get big and feather out.... and probably lay eggs.

Actually, my SS are the first to lay in this new flock of 7. I have a Buff Orpington, and a Black Australorp who laid their first eggs on Aug. 1. Margaret, my SS, laid about a week before them at about 18 weeks old. I have another BO, another SS, and 2 EEs who haven't laid yet, and all were hatched in March.

Hi I am new on here - looking for help please.
My OH and I already have light sussex which we love, but are becoming interested in the breed, and would like
to get other varieties of sussex - particularly red, buff, and the (rare?) white sussex.
We are in Lancashire UK. Can anyone help source a supplier/breeder for us, especially for the red and white
sussex as they do seem to be rare.
Thanks very much.
Ellie x
Hi Ellie
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

There is an excellent Sussex Poultry Club in England with a storied history.
You can contact them thru the Poultry Club of Great Britian. I highly recommend it.
Also ask them to sell you back copies of their wonderful newsletter! It is full
of valuable and educational counsel. From the PCOGB website:
"The National Poultry Show will take place on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th November
2014 at The International Centre, Telford" Try to attend this show. The top Sussex
breeders will be there. It is the huge yearly show. Akin to out National Show in Columbus,
Ohio. You can get contact info for the Sussex Poultry Club from the PCOGB Secretary at
this webpage: http://www.poultryclub.org/
Best Regards,
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Hi I am new on here - looking for help please.
My OH and I already have light sussex which we love, but are becoming interested in the breed, and would like to get other varieties of sussex - particularly red, buff, and the (rare?) white sussex.
We are in Lancashire UK.
Can anyone help source a supplier/breeder for us, especially for the red and white sussex as they do seem to be rare.
Thanks very much.
Ellie x
welcome-byc.gif
Happy to have you. Look around the threads. Lots of info out there

Back
Top Bottom