The Sussex thread!

Just to update on my hatch: it's Day 23 and I've had two chicks hatch, but both only half SS. One SS chick died after pipping. I have 12 eggs left, 8 of them pure SS and 4 mixes. Veins still look ok, and I've got two pips. So, I'm cautiously optimistic.
hmm.png

I had temperature issues and already ordered the highly recommended super fancy brinsea thermometer so I don't have problems in the future.

The two that hatched are SS mixed with australorp and FBMC. The FBMC-SS has clean legs and is colored like the SS. I can't wait to see it grow up.

Good luck on the rest of the hatch. Hope they all hatch and do well.

Good luck on the rest of the hatch.  Hope they all hatch and do well.

I got two more chicks today, Day 24. One SS, one French black copper marans/SS. A 22% hatch rate. :(

Four chicks from 18 eggs set. Two of the FBMC/SS, one australorp/SS, and one sweet little pure SS.

But in the spirit of pressing onward, I'm resetting my bator in the morning, with a dozen SS amongst others. :)

I got two more chicks today, Day 24. One SS, one French black copper marans/SS. A 22% hatch rate.
sad.png

Four chicks from 18 eggs set. Two of the FBMC/SS, one australorp/SS, and one sweet little pure SS.

But in the spirit of pressing onward, I'm resetting my bator in the morning, with a dozen SS amongst others.
smile.png

I saw your post on the Easter HAL thread. Hopefully you'll have a better hatch rate next time. But at least you got 4!

I set 20 SS eggs for the HAL.

I saw your post on the Easter HAL thread.  Hopefully you'll have a better hatch rate next time.  But at least you got 4!

I set 20 SS eggs for the HAL. 

That's so exciting! I'm become addicted to chicks. :D
it's so easy to get addicted. On the baby chicks pics thread we have baby chick "AA"meetings... You should join lol!:)
Good luck everyone with your hatching!

Hi there, this is lilly our light sussex pullet of 18wks, I am worried about her stance she seems to carry herself low. Her tail doesn't sit like our other chickens, she seems happy herself but we are new to raising chickens is it of any concern? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi there, this is lilly our light sussex pullet of 18wks, I am worried about her stance she seems to carry herself low. Her tail doesn't sit like our other chickens, she seems happy herself but we are new to raising chickens is it of any concern? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
First thought I had was cocidious....(not good at spelling it)
It could be that. Is she more fluffed up then the others?
Is she roosting, eating, drinking normal?
I treat cocidious with cor is powder. Works great! Catch it early.
She unso could just be low chicken on the peaking order..
Is she bloodied, or beat up looking?. Feathers missing? If she's just getting picked on I'd remove her from the other or remove the aggressive birds if you just have 1 or 2 aggressive ones. If the whole flock is picking on her I'd remove her and get her another friend like a sweet friendly little silkie or something.
Hopefully others will chime in to and give thre opinions also :)

I had a FBCM roo whose tail did that. He eventually got over it and nos his tail is normal.
G'day to ya from North Florida.
-ron

I think I would just give her some time to mature a little; she is still very young and needs some time to "fully inflate."

Back
Top Bottom