The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

20190715_190014.jpg
20190715_185858.jpg
The males have varying degrees of 'darkness' to the face.

Looks like a Svart Hona to me. Just has had frostbite to the comb. The mulberry facial coloring is common on the males of fibromelanistic breeds. The goal, colorwise, is to breed for the darkest and closest to black. Being a land race breed, there is much work to do.

From what I can see of your cockerel, he is about 4 months old or younger. Still growing. His tail feathers have not fully grown in. If you could take several pictures of him in sunlight, both of his head and tail, it would be helpful. There are some differences between the two all black chicken breeds to look for.

He looks normal for a young roo. His feathers look good. In my experience, these chickens grow feathers slower than other birds. So He will still grow feathers for a while. He should be fully feathered by 6 - 7 months old. His rooster tail can get to about the same length as his body. His comb may continue to grow or stay small depending on the weather. A large comb is good for the tropical chickens, they is why the Ayam Cermani has such a big comb. The Svart Hona ideal would stay small, but they are very cold hardy. I would defently allow him to breed. Currently the Svart Hona is harder to come by than the Ayam Cermani.

So... In case you find yourself asking the same question I did...

Looks like this thread isn't active any more- but it proved out that at least my Svart Hona chicks are just the chillest chicks I've ever had. They're eating, sleeping, pooping, running around- not really peeping or freaking out when I walk up to the brooder. Super healthy, just chill.

As long as they lay their 150+ eggs a year as promised- I will have Svart Honas in the rest of my flocks- super cool chickens.

Been raising Svart Hona for 4 years, they are super chill, but be warned they’ll start flying soon and if you have a brooder without a top they’ll fly right out. Just a heads up from experience.

Back
Top Bottom