The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
I currently have a juvenile pair Svart Hona myself. As soon as I can figure out how to upload their pictures I will. For me the pictures are not embedding.
I must admit I can't wait till they start laying. I'm looking forward to purebred SH, but also project crosses.

I took better pictures outside today! (They are like tiny ninja chickens inside! Impossible to see!) My friend was here visiting so she helped me to get some decent ones. They are so dark that any shade just makes them invisible! Hope you like!

The biggest black bird is my Svart Hona pullet. The other black juveniles are Augsburgers. The Svart Hona is close to point of lay age, but don't know how close. I have found my Svart Honas (probably because I obtained them as juveniles) are not trusting of me yet, but they hang close to their coop/home even though I free range all of my birds during the day.

The big black one is my Svart Hona cockerel/rooster. The small one is my OEGB pullet

For those of you on FB, I just put a last minute auction on Rare Chicken Breed Sell/Swap for 6 eggs. These eggs are from a cross with my Greenfire roo against my unrelated hens from the original imports. It's a quick one hour auction. A lady had a change of plans for work. So she cannot take them today.

That's good,that's the idea. Are you going to cross him on any other pullets. Would like to see a turken cross,with a black neck.

actually my first half Svart Hona chick hatched yesterday. Beautiful black skin, legs, eyes with pale creamy down. somewhat like a reverse Palomino except black and cream instead of yellow and cream. of course I don't know if it is a male or female yet but I hope it grows to the full potential I see. and as far as other crosses I plan on breeding him to every black hen I have as well as to my Malines and Orpingtons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom